• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Spring Turkey 2014

I am hoping to get out and hunt a couple times this season but unfortunately my work schedule has me tied up this may. I look forward to everyone sharing their stories this season.

Nice going!! Congrats!!
Here in Jersey I had 2 toms on thursday come in together to 5o yards and then just turned and walked??? I had 1 on friday that just wouldnt commit to popping his little blue head over the ridge. Jersey is done for me but New York opens thursday, and I will be in the mountains Sat-tuesday.
Good luck guys!!

Good luck, Bro. I hunted SE New York near Schoharie back in 2003. Beautiful country and I would love to go back some day. Very reasonable non -resident cost for 4 tags. Back then it was like $75 for 4 tags, 2 fall, 2 spring. Saw lots of birds and missed one longbeard, passed on a couple Jakes. Great memories.

Yea any day in the great outdoors with family and friends make great memories! My uncle has prop near middleburgh in schoharie county. I get the super sportsman for $280 and that lets me do everything except take a bear. Even at $280 its not a bad deal for all the different tags I get

Got out on the weekend had a beauty tom to 60 yards had a new hunter with me he moved and so did the tom lesson learned but on the other hand new ghillie suit worked so well had a chipmunk jump in my lap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wish there was turkey in Ireland! all we're allowed for this time of year is shoot vermin.... I don't like eating vermin!

Sent from my U9200 using Tapatalk

My step son is out this weekend and I might join him next time he goes.

Congratulations to all who got one so far, especially the younger fellows.

Awesome bird!!

I got swamped at work and never made it out for my intended season. Fortunately I never bought my tag (sometimes procrastination pays off LOL) so I can still get out for the late season. I'm hoping to get out tomorrow and the weekend.

Took yesterday off and made it out into the field.

Beautiful day reaching the lower 60's. I saw 7 turkeys total, 4 of which were toms/jakes and 3 deer.

I swore some time ago to never, ever, ever use a jake/tom decoy again but I thought what the hell, it the first day of my season, lets mix it up. I set a hen low to the ground and the jake a bit higher like he's mating her. Sometimes this can drive a older tom mad. The only problem with this setup that I have found id that only a alpha dog tom will run in a pick a fight. None of the males I saw yesterday would come in they all hung up 100-200 yards out in a field. The last hour and a half of my hunt was spent watching three young males strutting around and not coming in. I could make out beards on two through my scope so the beards were probably around 5-6". I can't prove one way or another but the only time I've ever had birds hand up like this is when I include the jake decoy in the mix. I'll be leaving he jake at home next time I make it out.

One of he deer I saw was fascinated by the decoys. She kept coming back and walking circles around them. She didn't seem to know what to make of them.

I'm hunting with the crossbow this year so I need to keep my ranges close, no 60 yard shots for me.

I'm feeling pretty good. My friends hunted the first season and all combined didn't see as many birds in two weeks as I did my first day out. In fact they never even heard a gobble. Being forced into he late season may be a benefit this year. I think turkey activity has been pushed back a few weeks because of the weather.

Looks like at the very least it was a promising start Mike.

There are so many turkeys in the area around our house it's ridiculous. Saw a big Tom walking along side a neighbor's driveway on the way to work this morning...

Man, Ive got the fifties this year!!! Three toms upstate new york came into me and my cuz and they too just turned and walked at 50 yards? We took off through the woods, got out infront of them, they gobbled once and their talking was over. Overall all a great weekend almost three toms, called a jake in, and a total of 4 hens. I got a brain full of memories and an empty belly! Two more saturdays in Jersey and one more weekend in new york Ive got to take a good 10 or 15 yards off that 50, and git r done!

Spend the day Sat in the woods but never saw a darn thing. Good thing my season lasts til 5/31. It'll be about two weeks before I can make it back out unless something changes.

Hers a quick vid from one of the tents I have set up. It's overlooking a large bean field. Every turkey I've ever killed has been in this field. All but one have been in this corner, it's been a good spot for me. The turkeys often roost in the tree's right behind the tent and they pass through here during the day going to and from feeding/nesting areas.

I made it out Saturday evening and saw a nice tom. He came in at around 19:30 and hung around for over an hour. I hung up about 100 yard out and was gobbling his heard out but was hesitant to come in to my decoys (two hens). By 20:25, one minute before end of shooting time, he worked his way into 40 yards. I took a shot with the crossbow .....and missed!! DOH!!!! He never ran or took off, he just kept gobbling but worked his way further out of range. I thought he had walked off completely but I scared him out when I got up to head out. I have just not had good luck with bows, but that was pushing it in terms of yardage.

I hunted Monday night as well and only say one turkey, he came in the exact same way the one did on Sat but never gobbled nor did he come in to the decoys, he may have been the same bird who has now been educated.

The mosquitoes were unbelievable, If it were not for my Thermocell, I would never be able to last out there.

Time is running out, the late season ends next Sat.

Seasons over and no bird for me this time around. I tried to hunt my favorite field on Sat but the farmer was seeding it so no birds to be found.

He's planting corn this year instead of the usual beans so it may make my deer season a little different. Turkey or not, it was a fun season.

Back