• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Steel Shot through Fixed Mod choke

Hey ya'll

Picked up a 500A Combo bout a month ago. Crown land is opening up in a few weeks and I will finally be able to take her out and shoot, so I am stocking up on ammo for both it and my new 702 plinkster as
The 500a came with a 28" vent rib and a 18.5".. both smooth bore and both with FIXED chokes.
The 18.5" barrel will be my slug barrel, but my question is whether or not I can feed 2.75 steel BB shot through my 28" fixed mod choke without any problems.

Thanks for all your replies in my previous posts, its nice to know I can get a proper answer from you fellas after having been given the run around by plenty of other sources.

Cheers,
Kev

Howdy Kingscross,

Mossberg advises against shooting steel through any of their fixed choke barrels. Their Accu-choke barrels are designed and better suited for steel shot.

That being said, shooting steel through the fixed choke is perfectly safe. Only real issue would be the likelihood of scarring in the bore at the choke and a potential loss of consistency over time...

Back