• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Sticky bolt lock?

Thomas Curatolo

Copper BB
If I push the bolt lock down it does not return back up on its own. Am I right in assuming that it should move and return back freely. Also, I have read that the firing pin should move freely in the bolt. Mine does not. I can barely get the pin to move. Should it be able to move by just pushing on it with my thumb or did I read wrong.
The reason I'm asking is that i had a couple of failure to fire when at the range but attributed it to me not racking the slide with enough force.
I'm wondering if it might be the bolt or more specifically the firing pin.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:
The bolt lock gets pushed up by the action when you rack it forward, so it shouldn't matter. As for your failure to fire issue, try cutting a single coil off the firing pin return spring with a dremel. The way it comes, it's real stiff. I had 2 light strikes in the last 200 or so rounds I've fired, which was enough to cause concern for me. The light strikes were with Remington 00 buck, which are known to have hard primers, but I ended up cutting a coil off the spring anyway and cleaned the bolt carrier group/firing pin just to be sure. I put another 80 rounds thorough it last night and it seemed ok.

Back