• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

stock options

GR00VY

What would be a good stock for the 590a1? I like the traditional stocks for ease of reach to the safety. I want to ditch the one it came with for two reasons. 1 after shooting a decent amount slugs and 00 buck my shoulder starts to ache a bit. 2 I noticed the stock was a bit crooked. I am not sure why but has bothered me for a bit so the fact that I want to get something they may help soak up the recoil a bit gives additional reason to look for a new stock. Thanks

Not sure when you say crooked. Perhaps it just needs to be adjusted a little if your stock screw is a touch loose and the stock has shifted or something?

With that said if you choose to keep your original stock consider a limbsaver. It slips on the end of your long gun stock and the damn things actually work as advertised.

If you want to opt for something else about the only stock I really can think of offhand is the Knoxx recoil reducing ones that come in the traditional full stock configuration.

Otherwise most recoil reduction options revolve around the pistol grip and carbine AR style of stocks. Its not impossible but yes the top mounted safety can awkward to manipulate sometimes with that type of configuration.

by crooked I mean it angles off to the right. The stock screw is straight when I put just the screw in so it appears the screw is straight. When you look at my stock the molding line that runs down it is clearly off to the side. The whole stock is leaning one direction.

It is between the hogue overmold stock, a speedfeed stock, and the blackhawk knoxx compstock. I saw some good reviews on all of them. So many choices. I tell ya . . . .first world problems.

I use the Hogue 12" LOP stock and I take a Limbsaver slip on pad (size small) and put it over the Hogue. I use rubber cement to secure it. It gives a perfect 13" LOP, absorbs recoil like a dream and peels right off if you want to remove it.

12" LOP Hogue has been awesome on my end.

FYI use blue locktite on the bolt when you screw it into the receiver. Mine came loose at around the 1,000 mark and BOY did it kick my shoulder. I blue loctite it and nary an issue.

I went with the hogue. Whast a difference that stock makes in just shooting 00 and slugs. I didn't put any blue loctite on the screw. If it starts to back out I will add some.

The hogue is a solid stock, my favorite other than the wood that's currently on mine. I don't usually use loctite on the stock screw, but a little dab of blue certainly wouldn't hurt! What about some pics!

I will get some up shortly. I don;t have the tool to remove the forend yet so that is still stock. My little bro is home for the holidays and he is on his way over and we are going to the range. Good times.

Back