• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Teaching children firearm safety

Rossignol

The Original Sheriff
Global Moderator
Sponsor
What do you teach your children about safe handling of firearms?

We start with picking up the gun. Check to verify the chamber is clear and that no rounds are in the magazine. Never point the gun in someones direction loaded or not. Before loading we make sure the safety is on and we dont load the gun while someone is down range setting up or checking targets. Firearm safety also means selecting a target and hitting it, starting with the safety on and finger off the trigger until ready to fire.

On another note, guns in the house are not taboo. There is no mystery and therefore the kids dont feel any need to investigate. We get guns out any time they want to see them and they know they only have to ask and that I have to be with them. In fact theyre out enough that the guns have become common place and even boring.

Another aspect of safety is understanding the parts and workings of the gun they handle, including how to break it down and clean it.

Anything else?

Although exspensive they make great speedloaders (one unit does all) :D

z884.jpg

On a serious note the common place comment is so true and in our household the "mystery" has been gone for years. I think firearm "accidents" happen more often when the guns are hidden from children not that I have any proof of this.

I think there is some truth to that, though as you said, I dont have any proof either. My kids dont willy nilly start grabbing pulling and flipping parts when they see a gun. The very first thing they do is check the safety, chamber, and magazine. They also know how to clear a jam, fix a short stroked SG, and unload a gun.

If you have guns and kids, the guns shouldnt be a mystery they want to investigate as soon as youre not looking. They should be so common to them they dont even think about the guns when friends are over like they have to show them off. Its like having toilet paper on the roll. You know its there and theres no need to announce it when someone walks in the door. I mean, it would be kinda weird for one of the kids to whisper in a hushed tone to a friend who comes over, "psst, theres toilet paper in the bathroom".

They really dont think anything of having guns in the house.

Our son is now 10 and has his own .22 rifle. We started with the Four Rules and an Airsoft pistol when he was about 6. From there, he graduated to a BB gun, then a pellet gun and now the .22. He knows how to ensure that those guns are not loaded when handling them as well as how to safely load and fire them. The guns remain locked in a safe when not in use, but there's no "mystery" about them. We treat them as if they are tools - tools that can take a life if handled carelessly.

Currently, he has no interest in shotguns or larger caliber handguns. He has fired a .22 pistol, but I don't own one. That may be next on the list. For now, I'd like to get him more time with the rifle. I had hoped to get him out this past Saturday for opening day of pheasant season, if only to carry the .410 afield for a while and get a feel for its weight.

My youngest is 10 and shoots all of our guns and can break them all down. My oldest(nearly twice the younger ones age) never really wanted to shoot much until the younger one started four years ago with a BB gun. It's great to see my little one showing my first born how to dismantle a Mini or 10/22. I purchased a SP101 in 22LR to mimic my larger caliber SP's and dressed up his 10/22 to look like the Mini but this kid always wants to shoot the bigger bore wheelguns and rifles. He is just now understanding that emptying a 30 round clip in the Mini cost about 10X more than shooting his 10/22 the same amount.
Safety first ...economics second.

I have nothing to add, MY own home rules have been coverd,
My 10 yr old is allowed to clean his Single shot 12g. without permission (IF I AM HOME AND HE MAKES IT WELL KNOWN HE INTENDS TOO)
iTS NOT ASKING PERMISSION ITS GIVING ME THE COURTESY OF LETTING ME KNOW HE IS DOING IT.
oops caps lock. He has about polished it to bare metal, but hey he oils it.
At his age Itook my .22 or 12g hunting ON MY OWN all summer long. I had to earn that privliage though.

yes of course I can and have said not now, but its the idea od responsibility.

Also he was not allowed to do this until he could resite the NRA fules by rote.

I was handed a colt commander when I was 3 or 4. I still remember it very vividly today. I still pick up a pistol the same way dad taught me 25 years ago. The thing to remember is that age doesn't matter. I know 6 years old who can't tie their own shoes let alone spell their name, and I know others that can shoot a .22 just as good as me. I also know many people my age who should not own a gun. I met a kid at Bass pro shops that was 8. He had been turkey hunting with his dad for 2 years and had a couple of his own kills.

I guess my point is all kids are different and move at their own pace. And yes keep the guns around while they are they but supervised. I hate hearing about all these kids that get shot showing their buddy their dad's guns. Not to mention if you have kids no loaded guns in the house unless they are on your person. Even in a safe. As a kid I had friends who could crack their dad's gun cabinet. Oh and lock up the ammo separate and do not let the kids ever see you mess with it.

And take them out often to shoot.

T.C.

Back