• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

That 590A1 stock.........

Kilrain

Okay, I admit it, I'm short. I'm not unusually short, a dwarf or a little person, but I am slightly under the average, if you consider the average 5'10". My arms, are proportional in length to my height, as are my fingers. My hands, overall, also proportional. I said all that to say this................

I got rid of the ridiculously long stock that came on my 590A1. I mean really, who did they design that for? It wasn't for the average person unless they consider average well over 6'04" with proportional arms. At least that's my take.

I went with the super short, 12" LOP Hogue overmold stock. I'm a stock crawler by nature so the super short size suits me well. That being said, any ideas on getting the foregrip off the action tube so that so that I can mount the matching foregrip?

Thanks in advance.

For the forend you can have one of two designs.

One has the bars pinned directly to the plastic forend and the other has them pinned to a metal tube that the forend is attached to.

If you have the former you will need to buy a new tube assembly which you can get here: Havlin Sales

If you have the latter there will be a nut at the end that you can remove to separate the forend from the tub assembly. The tube comes in multiple lengths. you will need to measure it to determine which forends will fit. The std lengths are 6 1/2" and 7 5/8". You can buy an adaptor to fit longer forends to the 6 1/2 in tube but you would have to fabricate some type of spacer to put a shorter forend on the longer tube.

Yeah, it has action bars that are attached to the action tube which goes through the fore grip and is secured to it by a large, round "nut." I can get the nut off but any ideas on how to get the tube out of the fore grip? It's press fitted in there very tightly and won't budge. There is nothing that I can "tap" on the tube that won't be damaged, best I can tell.........?

Do not tap it from the threaded end. I did that on my 835 and runined the threads resulting in a call to Havlin.

But I'm not sure of another good way to do it other than just trying to work it out slowly by pulling on the rails.

You can try to grease it somehow, I really dont know... both mine slid right off.

Dishsoap, bacon grease, cooking spray, crisco or butter that has been melted, teflon spray, vaseline, ... heck, I just dont know what would work.

I got it! I just loosened the nut a couple of full turns, then inverted the assembly and tapped it against a padded table. It moved an 1/8" or so, then I repeated it till I ran out of thread, which was close to 1/2" or 5/8". I was then able to wiggle it out. The Hogue overmold forend went right on, no problem.

But then I found another issue, and it's a weird one but I'll start a new thread so that it's clear what I'm talking about. Any additional help will be appreciated.

The other thread is up. BTW, your Youtube videos were instrumental in my decision to try the 590A1. It's obviously well built, but the other thread could be deal breaker.

Back