• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

The Civil War Revisited

CaddmannQ

Will TIG for Food
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
The Civil War Revisited has been held every year at Kearney Park in Fresno California.

They put up a whole village out there, with blacksmiths and tradesmen, musicians and big tents where they serve huge banquet dinners to the public ticket buyers. The food is usually served up by young soldiers sporting big smiles and bloody bandages.

I've only attended a couple times myself but I was planning to go this year and take my wife for the general's dinner. (Basically you have to make a donation to the valley Historical Society to eat at the General's table.)

This 28th consecutive year & it will be held on a muddy field, because it is raining like crazy right now and has been for two hours.

In spite of this, I suspect that every one of those men will be happy, because this is the rain that is going to put out the California wildfires. Also because them fellas love to shoot, and will be largely spurred on by the recent BLM protests and Monument destructions.

Thankfully, this wave of national protesting and statue busting has not stopped the event. It is currently, in spite of being held in the San Joaquin Valley, in the center of California, about the largest Civil War reenactment in the world.

On he front page of the Fresno Bee I see it reported that our civil war reenactment will continue, in spite of some poor publicity from a local black minister, who declared that it was a slap in the face for white folks to celebrate and entertain themselves with this part of their history. I honestly do not think he will be able to generate enough enthusiasm for a mob to form. And then there is always that Gatling gun . . .

If they start crankin that thing, even full of blanks, you gonna to see folks hit the mud!

So...If you're in Fresno this weekend, it's at the historic Kearney Park, and they will be shooting off Cannons and plenty of muskets and rifles. But I don't think I can promise the Gatling gun will come out.

Well unless there is a threat of large angry protests. ;) This might still be possible, except that if the rain continues the reenactors will still shoot, and the protesters will not show up.

Hopefully, because the layout is this: 75% of the black people in Fresno are relatively poor, and 90% of the poor ones live in between everybody else and Kearney Park, (where the battles will take place: Two on Saturday and one on Sunday.)

EV1TvTT.jpg

My most recent visit to a reenactment was the 150th Anniversary of the bloodiest battles and turning point of the Civil War...Gettysburg

at Gettysburg National Military Park in Pennsylvania 2013. The air was thick with smoke, sound, and history !!

The Stars and Bars were everywhere and nobody took a knee when the National Anthem was played...

1vqZnyu.jpg

Well the weather seems to be changing. Our rain has abated and we're expected to have a breezy evening followed by a breeze in the morning.

This will help dry out the battlefield a lot, but it will play hell with putting up the tents.

I'm sure they're out there right now setting up hay bales and saw horses and laying out the two camps.

Back