• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

The Evolution of My 590

This 590 was one of my first GB auction buys, it came from a pawn shop in Reno. It had seen little use, a couple of scratches but no big deal. Originally it had a speed feed stock. At the time I thought that I wanted to go all tactical with this one as my other M500's were rather simple. I put on a Black Aces full length rail, Mesa Tactical Hi Tube Adapter, Magpul stock and grip, flip up sights.

It looked cool, but the more that I shot it, I really did not care for it. I had redone a wood stock set for one of my M500's and really liked it so I ordered a wood set from Numrich and refinished them for the 590, it gave it a classy old school look.

Then I needed the 590 to be a little shorter so I went with a Mesa Tactical LEO adapter like I have on my 500SPX, I put the fore grip that came with the SPX on the 590 and this is how my 590 currently sits.

If you have a bayonet lug, you gotta have a bayonet.

I kept all the stock options so I can change it back to any of them. I will probably change it back to the wood when I am done needing a slightly shorter 590.

I saw the first picture and thought 'oh no ... not another one of those' but that wood setup is beautiful and the current setup is tasteful. I was going to ask if you wanted to sell the wood until I saw you planned on keeping it to switch back later ... damn. Try a Hogue forend next if you feel the need to switch from the factory forend. The grippy rubber texture feels a lot better than the ribbed polymer.

I saw the first picture and thought 'oh no ... not another one of those' but that wood setup is beautiful and the current setup is tasteful. I was going to ask if you wanted to sell the wood until I saw you planned on keeping it to switch back later ... damn. Try a Hogue forend next if you feel the need to switch from the factory forend. The grippy rubber texture feels a lot better than the ribbed polymer.

The Black Aces Rail looked better on paper then it felt installed, too clunky and kind of screwed up the balance and natural feel of the 590. The wood looks great and I will be putting that back on. I almost thought about swapping the 590 out wth the 500 in the bull pup that I just bought, but I am not going to do that, but will be making some mods to the bull pup to bring it up to speed.

The Black Aces Rail looked better on paper then it felt installed, too clunky and kind of screwed up the balance and natural feel of the 590. The wood looks great and I will be putting that back on. I almost thought about swapping the 590 out wth the 500 in the bull pup that I just bought, but I am not going to do that, but will be making some mods to the bull pup to bring it up to speed.

I used to have a warhammer rail several years ago and I thought it was cool until I took it shooting. The balance the shotgun normally had was completely gone, the flip up sights I put on it shot about a foot low even with the front sight on it's lowest setting and it made taking the gun apart to clean a major ordeal. I don't think the full length shotgun rail was designed with any practical or even reality-based purpose in mind.

I'm going to take a look at some wood stocks on ebay ... just curious if it's worth it or not. Hogue rubber is definitely more practical on a fighting shotgun but wood looks way better.

I've tried calling Havlin within last 2 months. Guy told me they had sold out of wood furniture for Mossberg and didn't think he would get more. Hopefully that isn't true

This 590 was one of my first GB auction buys, it came from a pawn shop in Reno. It had seen little use, a couple of scratches but no big deal. Originally it had a speed feed stock. At the time I thought that I wanted to go all tactical with this one as my other M500's were rather simple. I put on a Black Aces full length rail, Mesa Tactical Hi Tube Adapter, Magpul stock and grip, flip up sights.

It looked cool, but the more that I shot it, I really did not care for it. I had redone a wood stock set for one of my M500's and really liked it so I ordered a wood set from Numrich and refinished them for the 590, it gave it a classy old school look.

Then I needed the 590 to be a little shorter so I went with a Mesa Tactical LEO adapter like I have on my 500SPX, I put the fore grip that came with the SPX on the 590 and this is how my 590 currently sits.

If you have a bayonet lug, you gotta have a bayonet.

I kept all the stock options so I can change it back to any of them. I will probably change it back to the wood when I am done needing a slightly shorter 590.
I love the wood look and I will buy a set for my M500 persuader. What finish did you order from Numrich?

I love the wood look and I will buy a set for my M500 persuader. What finish did you order from Numrich?

I ordered what ever Numrich had, that was back in 2014 sometime, I don't know what they have available now. The stock and forearm that I got from them was new old stock, I stripped off whatever factory finish was on it, sanded it a bit, applied new stain and linseed oil.

Back