• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

The Mountain Provides.....Spring Time

John A. said:
As for the food saver, about halfway through 2 bushels of apples this weekend, the sealer started not sealing good and I was having to seal each bag 2 or 3 times before it would seal right. I think the foam things are pushing up too high ??

Hmmm. Only problem with sealing I've ever had is if there's too much liquid being sucked out of whatever is in the bag. It keeps the plastic from getting hot enough to weld together.

That has definitely been happening.

I've been trying to drain as much as I can out of it, but is impossible to get out all of it and I can see the water moving out of the bag as the machine is running.

John A. said:
That has definitely been happening.

I've been trying to drain as much as I can out of it, but is impossible to get out all of it and I can see the water moving out of the bag as the machine is running.

That's your problem then. Solution: Once you've got your goodies in the bag fold the top of the bag over and close with a paper clip or something and freeze for a few hours (in the bag) before sealing. You may need to wipe a little moisture out of the top of the bag with a paper towel when you get it out of the freezer, unless you're really fast. We do it this way with sauces and other juicy stuff. It's an extra step, but avoids wanting to pitch the machine thru a window.

Very logical answer.

I will try that next time. I have a bunch of clothes pins.

Thanks for that.

John A. said:
Very logical answer.

I will try that next time. I have a bunch of clothes pins.

Thanks for that.

You're welcome. It's surprising how much moisture even get's sucked out of stuff that appears dry, such as string beans, corn, etc.

Yeah, and really dry powdery stuff doesn't do good either.

It only took once to try to vacuum seal white flour. It is so fine that the machine just simply cannot suck out all of the air between it.

Corn meal seals, sugar seals, salt seals, rice and oatmeal seals

white flour...No.

John A. said:
Yeah, and really dry powdery stuff doesn't do good either.

It only took once to try to vacuum seal white flour. It is so fine that the machine just simply cannot suck out all of the air between it.

Corn meal seals, sugar seals, salt seals, rice and oatmeal seals

white flour...No.

Flour is awfully fine. I suppose you could try putting it in a cheese cloth first to catch the dust. Never vac sealed flour myself. It will last for years just kept dry in a ziplock to keep weevils out.

We've been oven-drying a few varieties of tomatoes the past week or 2, then vac seal them. Wife is starting to complain that we need a bigger freezer. We give away/trade a lot of stuff, but I guess 23 cuft isn't big enough to handle everything we put up, plus things like frozen pizza's. ;) :mrgreen:

John A. said:
carbinemike, I'm going to have a bunch of seeds to trade with you if you're still interested. I think you and I are the only two people who has commented in the thread.

I'm definitely interested but I need to do some work. I think some of the plants that my Mrs. picked up may not have been Heirloom's. I'm working on figuring out which are and aren't. I'm pretty sure the tomatoes aren't.

Today's bounty. :cool:

3/4 of a bushel of white half runners, some rutger red and mr stripey tomatoes, the last of the summer squash, cucumber, a dozen or so ears of sweet corn and the last 3 bushels of apples from the trees.

garden002_zps5c490d7b.jpg

garden006_zpsc808a34d.jpg

garden005_zpscd8df407.jpg

garden007_zps727d4ab4.jpg

John, a good variety of tomato is Black Krim. It's an heirloom Russian similar to Cherokee. Really tasty.

I hadn't heard of it before.

I have one Cherokee tomato in the garden right now, but a storm blew some of the corn over on it and broke the main stalk, so I only have a few small limbs producing. And I can't let them get very big in fear of them breaking too. I am mainly only able to use those few for seeds for next year and will try it again, but will plant several in the basement under UV lamps mid-January so they'll be big enough to plant when the time comes.

The Cherokee's are dark and while they taste like a tomato (duh), a lot of people reach over it to get a red one. [shrug]

But the dark color doesn't bother me.

John, the black krim grow well here. A neighbor gave me a couple plants this past spring, and I've been real happy with them. They have a rather large pith on the stem end, but grow to 4-5" dia. The flower end will be a medium to dark purple when ready to pick. They are terrific for sandwiches and salads. The stem end may still look green when ready to pick.

Seeds are available from Burpee and others.

I have bought a lot of things from them over the years.

I remember looking through their catalogs before I could even read the words at my Grandmothers.

My Mom bought seeds and saplings and flowers and things from them too.

Burpee is a staple around here.

My Mammaw would even call you "Burr-pee" if you were getting on her nerves as a last verbal warning to get your attention :lol:

John A. said:
I have bought a lot of things from them over the years.

I remember looking through their catalogs before I could even read the words at my Grandmothers.

My Mom bought seeds and saplings and flowers and things from them too.

Burpee is a staple around here.

My Mammaw would even call you "Burr-pee" if you were getting on her nerves as a last verbal warning to get your attention :lol:

Most of our stuff we buy from the local Co-Op. Pretty much all southern stuff. Butter peas, okra, yard long beans, zuchinni, cukes, yellow squash, tomatoes, etc. in the late spring/summer; then kale, spinach, radish, turnip, and so on in the fall. Late winter/early spring is romaine & butter head lettuce, english peas, broccoli, and other cool weather crops. Pretty much have something growing year round. Biggest problem here is bugs and wild grasses.

I usually till in a couple pickup loads of cotton meal in the spring - great fertilizer and soil amendment and it's free from the local gin. Better than manure, imho. No rest for the weary. ;)

Here's a good list of what grows well here and related info: http://msucares.com/lawn/garden/vegetables/index.html .

Back