• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

The spirit is willing, but

GunnyGene

Racist old man
BANNED
the body ain't cooperating. As I've mentioned before, I plan on getting a deer with my Blackhawk this year, so I've been getting in some practice. Burned up about $50 worth of ammo in the last couple weeks, and seem to have plateaued at about a 5" group. I know how to shoot, but am still having trouble with my shooting eye (front sight focus) and the wiggles. It doesn't take much of a shake with a revolver to open up a group at 25 yds. Any suggestions besides getting a new prescription? I'm starting to get a little PO'ed at myself. :(

Are you squinting? Try putting a piece of opaque tape over the non-shooting lens (assumed you wear glasses based on the prescription statement). Not completely over it, just directly in front of your eyeball. I need to do that occasionally for archery and shotgunning...

You know Gunny, I ain't the best shot by far... But a 5" group even at 25 is pretty respectable in my book... Certainly good enough to kill what your aiming at ;)

OhioArcher said:
Are you squinting? Try putting a piece of opaque tape over the non-shooting lens (assumed you wear glasses based on the prescription statement). Not completely over it, just directly in front of your eyeball. I need to do that occasionally for archery and shotgunning...

Don't think I'm squinting, but I'd forgotten about a eye patch. Used to do that many years ago. Thanks for the reminder, I'll do that in the next day or so and see if that helps. And yes I do wear glasses. Trifocal lenses. I'll probably get a pair specifically ground for shooting next week. Also have a moderate problem with floaters, mostly in my left eye tho (right eye for shooting). Getting old sucks. ;)

aksavanaman said:
You know Gunny, I ain't the best shot by far... But a 5" group even at 25 is pretty respectable in my book... Certainly good enough to kill what your aiming at ;)

Probably, but I don't want to have track a one down thru my woods, since it would mean hauling it out on foot, and I'm not as spry as I usta be. In my prime, I could run 2"-3" groups with a GI issue 1911 all day long. As I mentioned above, getting old sucks. ;)

Btw, while I was out back today setting up my target (in the rain), a very pretty doe walked by about 30 yds away, winked at me, and strolled into the woods like she owned the place.

GunnyGene said:
Don't think I'm squinting, but I'd forgotten about a eye patch. Used to do that many years ago. Thanks for the reminder, I'll do that in the next day or so and see if that helps. And yes I do wear glasses. Trifocal lenses. I'll probably get a pair specifically ground for shooting next week. Also have a moderate problem with floaters, mostly in my left eye tho (right eye for shooting). Getting old sucks. ;)

I know guys with the newer line-less bifocals that have problems...can't tell where one ends and other begins.

I have the lineless specs, but you can tell by the focus. The problem is that you have to hold your head just right to get the right focus, which is usually not optimum for sighting/shooting purposes.

GunnyGene said:
I have the lineless specs, but you can tell by the focus. The problem is that you have to hold your head just right to get the right focus, which is usually not optimum for sighting/shooting purposes.

Gunny I also wear lineless specs(progressive lenses). Sometimes like you mentioned you have to find the (sweet spot) for shooting. Not knowing how bad your shooting eye is,,,,,try a pair of magnifiers from the local drug store. I keep a pair around for when I need to do some close up work and I can't be moving my head around to find the sweet spot. Like I said,depends on how strong your specs are.
Hope this makes sense to ya.

GunnyGene said:
 Getting old sucks. ;)

It's a privilege to get old.....I just hope I can have the same amount of spunk my memere has when I get her age....97!! She'll be 98 in December....

Ok, about 98% of my handgun shooting experience for the last 55years has been semi-auto - mostly 1911's. So the hold I use by habit is what I'd use for those. Did some googling and found that may be part of the problem I'm having with the Blackhawk. This from Jerry Miculek got me thinking, and I'll be working on this for the next few days with dry firing first, trying to unlearn old habits. We'll see how it turns out in a couple days. Old dawg,new tricks. :roll:

http://www.shootingusa.com/PRO_TIPS/MIC ... ulek2.html

aksavanaman said:
GunnyGene said:
Old dog,new tricks. :roll:

Well, if you wanna get with the times Gunny... thats D-A-W-G... not dog ;) :lol:

Fixed it. Go DAWG's (Mississippi State) :lol:

I may have to do some carving on the Hogue grips to get my hand up higher on the backstrap.

Todays target practice. Ok, moved my grip up as high as possible and it seemed to help some. 8.5x 11 paper, 4"x4" square bull. Bucked 3, jerked 3, 3 in the black but high. First round was high in black. All 9 shots at 25 yds. Lowered sight 2 clicks and will redo tomorrow. The square bull helped the eyeball some. Note that 4 shots were doubles in nearly the same holes even tho 2 were high, which made me smile. Still too much shakiness to suit me. More $$ blasted out in the woods. :roll:

41target.jpg

Back