• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

The troubled history but bright future of the 930 SPX

Found a load my SPX does not like

Decided to take both shottys out today for some range time and different load work. Turns out my 100% SPX is only about 85% when firing Fiocci Low Recoil 00B 2 3/4" rated at 1150fps. Sometimes it would stovepipe (type 2 malf), sometimes it would fully extract from chamber but get hung up on barrel edge.

I also had the trusted cheap RIO 00B low recoil rated at 1200fps and it was 100% as always. So for my gun it seems 1200fps is the low limit on ammo for me and the gun to be happy. Since I still have a full case of the girly Fiocci :lol: that will have to be for the 590A1 and for use when teaching the shotty to new shooters.

8d3d538b.jpg

I decided to keep this picture for the next time someone post frustration on why they can't get 7+1 00B RIO royal buck 2 3/4 shells loaded up to the manufacturers advertised specs. Every shell in the pic is a 2 3/4" shell. Kinda strange the Rio low recoil has a taller brass height than even the high velocity Estate slug at the end and that sreamer is rated at 1610fps.

1a784102.jpg

Re: Found a load my SPX does not like

megawatt said:
Kinda strange the Rio low recoil has a taller brass height than even the high velocity Estate slug at the end and that sreamer is rated at 1610fps.

1a784102.jpg

That’s because brass/steel head height has nothing to do with charge or payload. That’s just a wives tale, hi brass was developed for extraction purposes. I load 1600+ fps slugs in Remington Gun Club hulls.

The Fiocchi Low Recoil Slugs functioned 100% in my SPX..those are rated at 1300 fps.

I bought a box of Winchester PDX1 Defender for the house, those are rated at 1150 fps; I better run those to make sure they cycle...then again...it's the first shot that counts. I'll run a full box at the next range trip.

I also got 250 rounds of the Centurion Slugs from SGammo.com...seriously cheap stuff!

At least I'm happy that the cheap bulk Fed/Win target/clay birdshot ammo at walmart runs all day.

Re: 930 SPX Front Sight Alignment

jjdiv said:
Well, in spite of all of the apparent quality issues, I plan to purchase a 930 SPX in the next few days.

I would appreciate any suggestions how to determine if the front sight is canted when I'm looking the weapon over at my local gun shop. I will certainly eyball it but is there a way to more precisely measure if it vertically aligned?

Thanks very much.

From what I’ve read if you look down the barrel just like you would when your shooting you will see if the front sight is canted. I just bought my 930 SPX this past Saturday and after two trips to the range with all types of shot shell loads my gun is running flawlessly. I’m sure you will know what to do after you purchase your new 930SPX and before going to the range. What I did before going to the range for the first time was to give it a good cleaning, and use very, very little oil , especially around the gas system. I keep my gas system almost dry. Historically semi-autos do not like over oiling.

Re: The troubled history of the 930 SPX

Well...I have to say that I am scared. I have been building-up my collection to shoot 3-gun and with a couple of decent pistols, an AR and good comp rig, the shotty was my last thing to buy. I just bought a 930 online and almost wish I didn't now. Money is already sent and I expect the gun in a week or two.

The gun is a NIB "Mossberg 930 SPX" according to the seller...and other sites' descriptions also use the "SPX" moniker for my particular model, but mine is the 85336, breacher-barrel w/heat shield. Since I don't have the ghost-ring and typical SPX front site, I suppose I can eliminate that as a problem. And being 5+1 (2.75") with no mag extension, I am hoping to avoid those issues as well (I am planning on a Nordic +2 or +3 extension). But now I see elevator issues, trigger group issues; yikes I am now very worried about my purchase.

I just about bought a Stoeger M2000 because it has the same Benelli blowback cycling system as the M2 and the M4; however, I got this Mossy for $395 all totaled and that is a full $100 cheaper than the Stoeger (or any other 930 SPX I could find).

So...are all the problems described in this thread inherited by the other 930 models? Or have they been isolated to the full, 8+1, pic-rail, ghost-ring sites model?

I decided to keep this picture for the next time someone post frustration on why they can't get 7+1 00B RIO royal buck 2 3/4 shells loaded up to the manufacturers advertised specs. Every shell in the pic is a 2 3/4" shell. Kinda strange the Rio low recoil has a taller brass height than even the high velocity Estate slug at the end and that sreamer is rated at 1610fps.

1a784102.jpg
[/quote]

Does the winchester 1 oz low recoil slug you have in the photo cycle your 930 spx? Mine will not 100%, not sure if it needs more break in still, but I know those things are SOFT for sure, they just may be to weak!

Re: The troubled history of the 930 SPX

Don't worry at all unless you find problems after break in!

Most problems are centered around the extended magazines...that's why many of us shy away from them, but even that is a small percentage of all sold.

The 930 is a great platform, don't be discouraged.

rca90gsx said:
Does the winchester 1 oz low recoil slug you have in the photo cycle your 930 spx? Mine will not 100%, not sure if it needs more break in still, but I know those things are SOFT for sure, they just may be to weak!

O yes, the winchester low recoil slugs work 100% in MY gun. Never have I had a problem with them, and they typically eject at the 2 - 3 o'clock position about four feet away from me.

I'll keep stuffing full power 00bk and slugs through it to loosen it up some more i guess!

I just bought a 930 spx yesterday. After I stripped and cleaned it. I was playing around with it just to get the feel of where things are and how well things operate. First I loaded and unloaded 2 3/4 federal power shock 00 buck with no issues. Then I tried to load some 2 3/4 Rio Royal Buck 00 buck. They were a little harder to push them into the mag tube and the spring was not strong enough to push down the last couple of rounds. I bought these rounds just for breaking in but now I wonder if I can even use them all. Has anyone else had this problem? I have visualy compared the Rio to Federal. Other than the Rio being longer I can see no difference.

Hognot said:
I just bought a 930 spx yesterday. After I stripped and cleaned it. I was playing around with it just to get the feel of where things are and how well things operate. First I loaded and unloaded 2 3/4 federal power shock 00 buck with no issues. Then I tried to load some 2 3/4 Rio Royal Buck 00 buck. They were a little harder to push them into the mag tube and the spring was not strong enough to push down the last couple of rounds. I bought these rounds just for breaking in but now I wonder if I can even use them all. Has anyone else had this problem? I have visualy compared the Rio to Federal. Other than the Rio being longer I can see no difference.

This may have been what is happening with the super long Rio's. If you flip the gun over and look at the underside of the slider you will see a channel cut into the left side. This is where the elevator will fall into when properly lined up. If the elevator does not fall into that channel it prevents the elevator from moving completely out of the way during the loading of a shell into the magazine (we are only talking about a 1/10 " depth). I am sure there is some side to side play with the elevator and if you push down with your finger you can hear a click when it "falls" into the channel when it rests on the bottom of the slider and not the channel. With the shorter 2 3/4" shells you don't really have a hard time to push them in the magazine even when the elvator is not in the channel because they are shorter in length compared to the logn RIO's.

This may have been what is happening with the super long Rio's. If you flip the gun over and look at the underside of the slider you will see a channel cut into the left side. This is where the elevator will fall into when properly lined up. If the elevator does not fall into that channel it prevents the elevator from moving completely out of the way during the loading of a shell into the magazine (we are only talking about a 1/10 " depth). I am sure there is some side to side play with the elevator and if you push down with your finger you can hear a click when it "falls" into the channel when it rests on the bottom of the slider and not the channel. With the shorter 2 3/4" shells you don't really have a hard time to push them in the magazine even when the elvator is not in the channel because they are shorter in length compared to the logn RIO's.[/quote]

That was the first think I looked at.
This morning I looked more closely at the shells. A few of them have a very slight flare at the top of the brass. If I dont use those they load more smoothly and also unload better with the bolt release.
Thanks again

My First Issue With My New 930 SPX

My first three trips to the range the gun functioned 100%. Today I shot 75 shells of different loads and on four different occasions the Rear Shell Stop jammed at the hinge point on the elevator. I can replicate what happened by locking back the bolt, turning the gun with the loading port facing up, then holding the bolt handle and pressing the release button just enough so the elevator flips up as to load a shell then with your finger push down on the elevator. The click I hear is the elevator hinge allowing the Rear Shell Stop (item 15) to move out just enough to jam the elevator in the up position and not allowing the bolt to go home. It looks like the elevator moves to far in the up position when loading a shell. I clear it by holding back on the bolt and pushing in on the Rear Shell Stop freeing up the elevator. I used the same brand ammunition as my first three trips and it did not matter if I was shooting slugs, 00 buck or birdshot. Did I make any sense? Have you ever heard of this before?

Thank you

Re: My First Issue With My New 930 SPX

Just got back from the range. There is nothing wrong with my 930 SPX, I could not ask for a better shooting gun. What ever happened on my last trip must have been something I was doing wrong. Today I shot 20 rounds of Remington 00 buckshot the 50 rounds of birdshot, not one malfunction. Since I bought my 930 SPX I’ve been to the range 4 times and 3 of those trips my 930 SPX functioned flawlessly. The one range trip were I had four malfunctions I cannot explain.
Sorry
:? :?

Could have been due to the gun being new or you just needing,to get used to it. Glad to hear you had no repeat of your issue. Keep us posted as she goes.

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Could have been due to the gun being new or you just needing,to get used to it. Glad to hear you had no repeat of your issue. Keep us posted as she goes.

Thank you for the reply and will do.

930 spx

Hello, brand new to this forum and want to start out with a question.
I want to buy a 930spx but want to know in advance if there is an alternate barrel I can buy and switch out when I want to hunt or shoot skeet or whatever. TIA

Re: 930 spx

Any of the Mossberg 930 barrels can be used on the 930 SPX but if you get a SPX with the ghost ring sights you will likely have to remove it for proper sight alignment with the other barrels.

Back