• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Thinking about getting my first shotgun, I need a foregrip

Copper BB
I have a rare medical condition that caused extra cartilage to grow around my wrists. It's not a big issue, but these growths limit my range of motion and prevent me from completely turning over my hand. This makes it harder for me to handle a rifle and especially the pump of a shotgun.

I want to get a Mossberg Maverick or 500, but I need a vertical foregrip to handle the pump.

Re: Thinking about getting my first shotgun, I need a foregr

Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum 711 !!

I believe there is an ATI aftermarket vertical grip that can be attached to the Mossberg 500...let me see if I can find it for ya...

Yes...here's the link:

================================================

http://www.atigunstocks.com/s-7-mossberg.aspx

================================================

ATIverticalgripmoss500.jpg

==================================================

Thank you. Do you know of any for the Maverick? Is the Maverick a reliable option for the price?

Maverick 88's are a good shotgun for the money...I would contact ATI on the availability of a vertical foregrip...

You can even converse with the ATI vendor here...Look at the main board index under Vendors.

My $.02,

The Maverick is a great shotgun for the money, but forend options are pretty limited. You'll find far more aftermarket forend options for the 500 series shotguns. With the addition of a railed forend to a 500, you have the option to choose from a host of foregrips in a wide range of configurations. I have broken both wrists and have similarly limited range of motion due to calcium deposits, so I understand your concerns.

My personal favorite, the Magpul AFG...

http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG411/88

I began using them on my ARs...

I absolutely love the ergos. The design promotes a very natural position of the wrist and allows for great control over the weapon. Tried it out on my 590a1 and never took it off...

They've updated the original model with the AFG2, but I prefer the slightly longer, original AFG for use on my shotgun.

For me its arthritis. I have trouble gripping the forend once I've turned my hand palm up like that.

I too use the AFG and it works for me. However, if my range of motion was any more limited, even that could be difficult. I can see a need for a verticle foregrip.

I dont know the interchangability between the Mav 88 and 500 as far as forends go.

Have you thought about an autoloader like the Mossberg 930?

An autoloader may resolve some of the issues about grasping and pulling the forend, but if I understood correctly, just turning the wrist to the position needed is the main problem.

Here is what I have done, and I will try to explain my reasoning behind it. I understand that what works for me may not work for everyone else, but I'll try to explain it anyway for you to decide if it might help you

I got an Ergo 3 railed forend and installed a tango down grip on the bottom and a CAA bottleneck grip on the side. This serves several purposes.

1. The grip on the bottom can be used as a makeshift carry handle if the butt of the shotgun is tucked up under your arm.

2. The bottom grip is good for shooting from the shoulder to help manage recoil and to help cycle the action

3. The grip on the side works surprisingly well for instinctive shooting and from the hip or for around corners.

4. If the shotgun is shouldered, I often use both the bottom and side grip at the same time. It's surprisingly comfortable that way. I grip the bottom with my fingers and wrap my thumb up and around the side grip.

And this is to maybe show it better than explain it

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSGcM5-Hk-8[/youtube]

Nice video! I'll favorite it on my YouTube!

Thanks Rossignol.

Just trying to help a fellow member out.

This is one of the friendlier forums out there and just trying to add to that.

Back