• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Thinking of obtaining Cold Steel's Gladiator machete

Title says all.

31QjyPpMeEL._SY300_.jpg

That is just wickedly cool. I'm really not much of a knife or sword guy. A couple of different swiss army knives over the years and a Gerber paraframe (my letter opener basically lol) are all I've ever owned that could be considered a serious quality social sharp instrument. Unless the steak knives in my kitchen drawer apply those too. I'm just not into sharp chunks of metal like some folks are.

I dunno why but I saw this the other day and odd for me I kinda want it. Anyone else own one of these or any other Cold Steel products? They have a lot of neat looking machetes actually. I like the Gladiator shaped one the best though.

Thoughts appreciated.
J

I have a few Cold Steel folders that have been with me for a while... I also used to have their GI Tonto until I lost it in the woods :(.... I'd say go for it man!

Title says all.

For 30 to 40 bucks this things a neat chunk of metal. I say that because its essentially what it is. I've kinda wanted one for a while now but every time I thought to snag one from an Academy it was always sold out. Apparently they are quite popular and why wouldn't it be? As I said its a neat looking chunk of metal. So when I saw one finally hanging on the wall there I had to acquire it.

They call it a machete, probably for legal purposes although its not really constructed well enough for being a machete. There are much better machete blade designs available for that task. Would I use this for bushwhacking? Not unless it was the only tool available to me for the job. Is it a proper short sword? Not really, a proper Gladius would be considerably thicker. This is really what I like to simply call a bad ass looking wall hanger. Being constructed of 1055 carbon steel and having a pretty damn sharp edge in a pinch though this could be used as a self defense weapon.

So, while straight up tactical black is so old and technically the FDE thing (thanks Magpul) is becoming the new old and overly done cliche I figured why the hell not? So I'm considering doing just that with a Cerakote job. What do you think of Burnt Bronze for the blade, and either Patriot Brown or FDE for the handle? Or maybe a combination of Patriot Brown and FDE for the handle? Finally it came with a black canvas sheath but I'm thinking a Coyote or FDE colored sheath from a custom kydex maker will really round it out. I see this as a test piece of how the Burnt Bronze and Patriot/FDE combination might look together as I want to possibly do that with my 1911 project. That and I just think it will look even more bad ass with a Cerakote job on it.

Opinions appreciated. This piece is really just for a collector of cool looking wall hanger knives or swords. Its definitely not a proper working piece "machete" as they bill it being. I'm not even really a knife or sword guy. I just happened to like the Gladiator design and had to have one.

YMMV as usual.

Sorry, forgot I had this thread when I started the new one. Moderators, if you wanna combine the two or just simply eliminate this one thats fine.

GunnyGene said:
Well, you could go old school. Rust and bloodstain. A few nicks in the edges. :mrgreen:
that's what I was thinking, patina would be way cooler IMO

got to be an easy way to do it ....like they do on counterfeit old guns

Currently, the only Cold Steel that I own is a couple of Sjamboks. One I keep 24/7-365 in the trunk of my PPV. The other is hanging in the garage near the kitchen door.

I have several Cold Steel items. I really like them. I too have some Sjamboks. They are something I would not like to face.

Get the Gladiator and enjoy it for what it is.

Sheeit, these are cheap enough initially I could do one in the modern day FDE magpul koolaid colors and one in your "faux" rust suggestion. They do make paint kits for just that. Interesting thought actually.

I've got my mind made up on the Cerakote job for the one I bought but maybe I should acquire another one at some point for a relicing job.

Set an appointment to meet the Cerakote guy to drop it off this upcoming Friday. He said they are just swamped with other projects right now so thats the soonest I can leave it. Then the hurry up and wait part :( till I get the call its ready to be picked up.

I asked him earlier on the phone if they had a Cerakote for rust. He just laughed when I told him what you all had suggested. He said buy another one, do some hog hunting, stab the slab and let it sit for a days unwiped afterwards. Then whack it against some hard scrap metal and throw it in a salt water tank for a few days afterwards. I'd have Gunny's desired effect. I'm probably crazy enough to do it as some point. :) Quit encouraging me.

Revisited this idea again. The original guy bailed on me and I never heard back from him so I had shelved the idea and honestly hadn't given it much thought. Pulled it out the other day and reminded myself I can't stand all boring black.

So I searched and found a different local area guy doing cerakote. It was dropped off this morning. I asked for burnt bronze on the blade part and Magpul FDE for the handle. I'm really excited to see how this turns out. I've found a place in Columbus Texas that does kydex knife sheaths. They've done a few for this specific blade so I'll probably order one in coyote brown once I get it back from the cerakoter.

http://www.armadillosheaths.com/

Back