• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Thread for chokes while getting vang comp system?

Hey all. I have a 590a1 with 20" heavy barrel.
I'm going to send the barrel in to get vang comp system work done on it and am debating getting it threaded for chokes or not. Gun is mainly for shtf, fun, maybe some 3gun and if I feel like it turkey hunting. If I do end up getting it threaded for chokes what type should I do? I have a few chokes for my Winchester sx3 which I believe is the same as the browning inventor plus. Should I just go standard mossy accuchoke or rem or win choke? How much extra versatility will I really get out of having the threaded chokes? And is it worth it?

Thanks,
Thomas

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

DO IT!!

Having chokes lets you tune your pattern and make the gun a lot more versatile.

As for type of chokes, that's kind of personal preference. I find I use only skeet and turkey extra full.

All of my small game hunting in the thick stuff so a skeet choke works great, prior to getting the skeet choke I used modified. Turkey hunting is my other passion so I use the extra full there.

For HD I just leave the skeet choke in it.

interesting thought. Since Hans machines in a "jug" choke on the backboring process.....don't really see a reason you cant as long as there is enough room between the ports and choke threads.....never heard of or seen this yet

oli700 said:
.....never heard of or seen this yet

I've been thinking about it this same set up for a while now! From what I can tell, the ports should be far enough back to allow for choking, but as you said oli... the backboring process already serves as a damn good choke... 6" spread at 25 yards for 00 Buck is pretty increadible.

Now imagine a 590A1 SBS... 14" barrel, Hogue short LOP, nice single point sling, Vang comp porting and a choke set up :D

Just send me $200 and we can get this dream rollin' :twisted:

ANYWAYS... to the OP:

I would certainly contact Hans to see whether he can do the porting AND thread the barrel for chokes. From my limited research i think you actually have the most options with the accu choke threading, as many shotgun manufactures uses this same threading. That said, I think most chokes you'd ever want to use are offered in the common threading patterns. If you do end up going this route... WE WANT PICTURES!

Hans said they can thread no problem. They just start the ports a little further back.

Looking forward to seeing how it turns out..

They did say they will only thread with rem choke however. But that works fine as they are prevalent.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Paid for it and sent the barrel in for vcs and screw in rem chokes. I'm excited to get it back!!!!

Back