• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

thumbhole vs pistol grip

fokefa14 said:
I am looking for the differences between thumbhole stocks and pistol grip full buttstocks.

I don't own either but there is a member here that bought a thumb hole butt stock for a 500A.
He sold it because he has small hands and the thumb hole brought his trigger finger back too far.

Thought I'd mention it for ya. Another thing to think about.

Biggest difference I have encountered is that most pistol grip stocks are ambidextrous and most thumbhole stocks are not (I,.e. the thumb hole is drilled at an angle to fit the left or right hand, not both.) There may be exceptions but all that I have used were left or right specific.

MikeD said:
Biggest difference I have encountered is that most pistol grip stocks are ambidextrous and most thumbhole stocks are not (I,.e. the thumb hole is drilled at an angle to fit the left or right hand, not both.) There may be exceptions but all that I have used were left or right specific.

True, and for the very same reason I would not buy an "off-the-shelf" thumbhole stock. If you need one (and very few people do) for high end competition (National/International matches, etc.), the only way to go is custom for the entire system.

Back