• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

To sling, or not to sling

GunnyGene

Racist old man
BANNED
That is the question. Specific to an HD shotgun. I've seen shotguns with a variety of sling set ups, some used to carry an extra 20 shells or so, and read other opinions on the usefulness of slings in HD. One reason I've seen to sling is in case of a malfunction, so you can hang it off your arm while you engage with a pistol. This seems doubtful to me, since most people getting out of bed at 3 am are not going to strap on a sidearm, but I suppose some folks sleep with one. Other opinions say the sling just gets in the way.

So how about some opinions from y'all. To sling or not to sling. And your reasoning for one or the other.

Strictly for in the house defense... I think I'd forego the sling for the exact reason you mentioned. At 3 am I'm really not thinking 100%... and a sling would just add one more thing to worry about. As for the extra storage... I'm not sure what you would need the extra 20 rounds for on your sling bandolier... with 6-9 rounds in the gun... and an extra 6-7 in a side saddle, you should have enough rounds to stop an intruder or two.

No sling on a hd gun for me. I like to keep things as simple as possible and a sling is just one more point of failure to me.

For shtf or hunting where you may need to carry the gun some dist or perform other tasks while carrying it i can see the usefullness

Sent from my Mossberg 930 using Tapatalk2

I have a sling on all my stuff. Only cuz I use em out in the field to target practice with. Haven't thought about them getting in the way in a HD situation though. I'll have to try it with and without to get an accurate reading on whether or not it's handy....

For HD my shotguns are not my first line of defense.
My EDC is always near by.
Shotguns are more for Zombie attacks or Blue Helmet attacks :eek:
I do use a sling when bird hunting.
It makes carrying the gun MUCH easier.

Kinda what I expected. This is one of those things that is in the personal preference category, imho, and depends to a large extent on what else is available, house layout, and other things mentioned by y'all. Slings do seem to be a pretty popular addon for those new to HD shotguns tho. I think they get talked into it because of the 'tacticool' factor that is heavily advertised. It would be interesting to know what percentage of those folks end up taking it off after a while. Same goes for other bolt on mods that don't really have any effect on function, and often just add weight/shift the balance of the gun and so on. I'm sure some would buy a shotgun bipod if anyone made them. ;)

But, people being people, we will always want to personalize our stuff; whether it's guns, cars, ears, noses, or most anything else. :D

Mine came with a sling. When its on HD duty, the sling is put up. When I go out target shooting in the wilderness or anything like that, the sling usually goes on.

I intend to use my 590A1 for HD, and also want a 3 point sling that can be modified to a single point for increased stability (like I would need that). Anyway, I may not use it when clearing the house, but may need it if in the field. My thoughts.....

My front sling mount broke off. Then again-its directly under the end of the barrel so I don't know if that had something to do with it.

Before it broke off-I used a bandoleer sling. It's useful for the range and also if I find myself up against a group.

Back