• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Tomahawks???

raven01750

.270 WIN
I have been thinking about possibly adding a Tomahawk to my kit. But to be honest, I have no experience with one, wouldn't know a good one to add to my kit or really why? I know some of the guys are carrying them oversea's as part of their loadout but think it's an individual decision. What are your thoughts on adding a Tomahawk to your hunting or Bug-out kit? And if you were to carry one, what features are important and why? Looking forward to any comments.

Paul

I just have a small hatchet that I made a handle out of steel tubing and welded it together. And dipped the handle end in liquid rubber a few times....tactical black rubber that is.... :lol: :lol:
Nothing fancy, but it won't break at least.

Important features in a tomahawk to me, blunt side for braining, and sharp side for gashing/slashing. That is how they were traditionally made.

Why mess with perfection?

If I can't get a blunt side, I would accept a more modern 3 pointed spike on one end that would take forever to heal if you were on the wrong end of it, although would slow you down if you used it because you'd have to pull it back out, unlike a blunt rounded edge which would be deflected while still transferring the bulk of the energy in the area it struck, although still more effective than the spike.

hey, you asked.

A good roofing hammer fits the bill quite nicely

Mine is the kind with a hammer head on one side. In case I had to use it to pound a nail in. God forbid that happen. Lol

Here are a few of my camp axes...even a sharpened shovel. I do like the SOG Vietnam style tomahawk...

SILVERHATCHET-1-1.jpg

HATCHETSHOVEL-1-1.jpg

Nice!
A Sharpened shovel, huh? lol I guess if any of those Pesky Ground Moles or Hogs attack your campsite they best beware :cool: :lol: :lol: haha

I picked up one of the SOG Fast Hawks a couple of weeks ago. I actually like it pretty good.

It's a nice size, not overly heavy or unweildy, the blade is sharp, and the spike would certainly make a mess too.

I think it could be thrown well, used to skin large critters, and is a huge step up from a regular knife if you're talking about using it for personal protection.

I did however rework the sheath though so there would be less risk of the buttons popping open and dropping it with the way the sheath is made out of the box.

Naturally, I did have to cut the seam in the sheath so the handle can slide down through it, but wasn't a big deal. I used 12 lb fishing line to reinforce the seam at the new edges so it wouldn't come apart with use.

http://sogknives.com/store/F06T-N.html

The Fiance asks "What do you want for Christmas?"
I say "I dunno" *realistically I want a Tac. Tomahawk and New Trulock Choke* lol

Check out the Cold Steel line of tomahawks. They have a big following in the tomahawk community. You get A LOT for your money.

I would say their TrailHawk model is there most popular one.

I have a cold steel rifleman's hawk thats good when I need a heavier head but I tend to use my sog hawk and sog fast hawk more than anything! I throw both of my sog's a lot and they take the abuse well. You will see the collar start to become bent and misformed but it has yet to break and doesn't really affect function so far. If/when if does fail I'll be sure to post an update and what I did to repair/improve it.

What you get depends on your price range and what you want to use it for (combat, emergency urban tool, recreational throwing, camp utility, etc. If you have a good budget and you want something seriously combat proven then I would recommend looking into RMJ. Never owned one but have had the pleasure of using a few over the years.

I know that it's not exactly a tomahawk, but I ordered an Estwing double bit ax the other day. I think it could very easily serve double duty from chopping firewood to keeping anything on the continent at bay.

It's 38+ ounces, full tang forged steel rubber coating over the handle and double bladed chop ax. Oh my !!

http://www.estwing.com/ao_black_eagle_double_bit_axe_black.php

ao_double_bit_axe_black.jpg

LOL

When have you ever known me to do anything half way? :cool:

Back