• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Tools needed to Disassemble the 930 SPX

raven01750

.270 WIN
So, as I patiently wait for my 930 SPX to come back home, I was curious what others considered to be vital in the way of tools when you are disassebling your 930 Auto. My main concern are the two trigger housing retaining pins. They are dimpled. Do you use a flat head punch? The owners manual just says a blunt obect no larger than 1/8" in diameter.

I was thinking about going ahead and buying a set of brass punches and hammer. The reason being that brass should be softer than the steel pins and theoretically do zero damage when extracting or replacing the pins.

So, what's in your toolbox you can't live without? :?:

Paul

I have a set of inexpensive steel punches that I got from Home Depot that I use on all my guns. I've even used them to install the bolt catch in AR lowers without scratching the receiver. :D

With that said, I'm not one of those guys who worries a lot about how my non-collectible weapons look.

Edit: My mallet is also an el-cheapo from Home Depot (See what I did there?) with a rubber head on one side and a hard plastic head on the other side.

A plastic/rubber mallet is fine. I got a cheap set of brass punches I think at Harbor Freight. I usually cover most of what I am working on with clean rags to protect the surface in case I mess up.

Well, I stopped by Harbor Freight but their punches were larger sets that I don't need. They didn't have any brass ones. But I did pick up some Blue Locktite. A small bottle was $1.99. That will last me a lifetime. :D

And I bought a Grip On, 6 pc Brass Punch set off ebay for $17.98. I think I have hammers covered. And I have a small set of nice screwdrivers for those little screws like site adjustment etc.

Three double ended nylon gun cleaning brushes for $5.99 and one Hoppes Bore Snake for 12 gauge shotguns for $9.48.

Hmmmm. What else would I need? :idea:

Paul

raven01750 said:
;) Looks like you better have a whole work shop for an AR!

Paul

Nah. I assemble lowers all the time with just basic hand tools ... mallet, punches, needle-nose pliers and the special tool for the castle nut. That's about all you need unless you want to get into assembling uppers.

An extra set of hands can be helpful though. That's what kids are for. :mrgreen:

Back