• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Turkey Calls...Which do you use and how do you like it?

I know that I will be picking up a Derby City Caller for this spring time after getting to use one recently.
Flame%20Maple%202.JPG

http://www.derbycitycalls.com

Ok. Here's a custom turkey pot call I had made for me by Scott from Final Strut Custom Game Calls.

It is a Jumping Cholla Cactus encased in Green alumilite resin body with a slate over a maple sound board.
This is the backside...
vO70q.jpg

Flippin incredible looking!!!
It sounds a good as it looks.

I only have 3 calls, not counting a locator crow call.

One is based on an old indian wingbone style call, though is made of wood instead of a turkey wingbone. It works by making a kissing sound/motion on the end of it.

I also have a Flextone magnum strutter box call that I like really well.

And the last one is a turtle shell/slate raspy hen call that I made.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdqMZ_1zYPs[/youtube]

I have a plastic wingbone. I can't seem to get the jist of it yet....any tips?

On mine, there is a rubber stopper just to help position your lips the same everytime more than anything, but to use a wingbone type, you barely put the tip inside the front of your lips and give it a series of gentle, but quick and firm kisses.

I don't have a favorite but I always mix it up.

I rarely venture out into the woods without at least one each slate/glass, box/friction and diaphragm calls in my vest.

I been at it for a couple decades. I use a trumpet, some pots and boxes, crow call, tube calls and diaphragms. I just pick what calls I want to carry and go. I change it up depending on what the birds seem to respond to.

As for the wingbone or Trumpet type yelper, all I can say is practice practice practice. Be patient and remember it doesn't take much air to get a sound. Once you become proficient, a suction style yelper is a deadly tool for fooling old toms. Start trying to draw a cluck through the caller and progress to yelps, cackles and kee kees.

For me my favorite is the HS Strut Black Majic aluminum pot call. It is just like a slate pot, only has an aluminum surface. There have been alot of turkeys carried out of the woods after dueling with the Black Majic. I usually carry at least 4 pot calls with different surfaces, all are HS Strut.
I use 6 differerent strikers from various manufacturer's that vary in length, diameter and material. I like the 1/4" diameter Primo's laminate strikers the best as I feel they give me the best control over the call.
I use the Primo's Stacked frame mouth calls almost exclusively. They give tones and sounds that I can't get out of other mouth calls, so they don't sound like everyone else in the woods.
One oddball accessory I use is the Primo's Wing. I have had good luck with it over the years for calling off the roost, or sctatching in the leaves later in the morning.
I don't have alot of luck with locator calls, there are usually enough crows around calling that I don't have any trouble finding a turkey to chase.

I have 2 locator calls. Owl and crow. They do not get a rise out of em. Pretty much useless. There's so many crows around here it doesn't phase em....
Although my coworkers love using the crow call here at work. It gets peoples attention inside the buildings. ;)

Digging up another old thread as another season is upon us.

I just purchased yet another slate pot call. It's actually the only one of three that is slate. It's made by RedHead and at $20 is the most expensive call I have.

I have two other slate pot type calls. One is a resin that sounds really nice and the other is a Quaker Boy aluminum call.

There is something I like about each of them. The actual slate is the first one I could actually make the "purr" on. I practice with our turkey and have almost mastered holding two pot calls in one hand. I get the most reaction from our turkey when I mix it up between the slate and resin call. She actually calls in wild turkeys. They've been pretty close to the house at times.

My youngest daughter gets the most reaction with a box call by HS Strut. It's inexpensive but decent and doesn't have to be chalked.

I keep a few mouth calls too. I practice with those mostly while I drive. I'm good with a few sounds. My turkey just barely pays attention to those however.

I take everything in my backpack then get a few things out when I get in place.

I have a mouth call...all I do is wheeze and sneeze with it. Tickles my palette and then the sneezing begins. LOL. I don't hunt, though.

Ill get a pic of the pot calls I like to use interchangeably. May as well get a pic of the box call too.

Here are a few we use;

The first is slate over glass. Its RedHeads reality series. I had wanted the one with the cherry base but they were sold out so I got the plastic base. The other is a resin of some sort and is called White Liar, but I don't remember who makes it. The slate is easy to purr and putt and cluck and is a lower tone with a little rasp. The resin is a higher pitch and is great for cackles and yelps.

image.jpg

This is the HS Strut. It's pretty basic but never has to be chalked. Both daughters are really getting good on the box.

image.jpg

I can say all this, but we have yet to call a bird in close enough to kill it.

I have this knight and hale ol yelper box call which I've rounded all the corners and had my daughter paint the turkey feather on it and then refinished it. This call always gets the birds gobbling always! I also have two pot calls and 5 different strikers. And 4 diaphragm calls but the box call is my go to starter call. Good luck everyone!!image.jpg

The slates are great but not in the rain. I got a porcelain one that is pretty high pitched. It wakes up the woods. I have a couple of mouth calls and I keep em in my truck to practice....some days It just makes me gag....others not to bad of a sound. Still need lots of practice on em.

The wingbone I gave up on. It tickled my lips to much no matter how I did it...

I also had a few strikers made up for me (before I got a lathe ) and mix em up depending on what the toms react to.

I also have a glass call I throw in mix.

I can hold two calls in my hand and 2 strikers and still make em sound good. That way it sounds like more than one calling. I bought one of the mounts for the shotgun but sinc I have a vent rib on my barrel it's useless...

I thought about cutting up some velcro and attaching it to the back of one of my calls, but have not done so yet...

I even came up with an idea for a directional call and bought some parts to put it together....we'll see how that works out soon...

I'd like to see em!

Hunting with an old friend or with my daughters, I don't mind having my hands tied up with calls if someone gets something. Man I can find tracks, I've seen them in the fields. I've seen them in my yard and we've had them respond to our calls, but never had em close enough for a shot. I'm excited for this season to pan out though!

Back