• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Turkey Season 2012

We can take anything with a visible beard.

And that was the first bearded hen I had ever seen. I've heard talk of them before, but that was a first time actually seeing one.

Good luck to everyone going hunting. I hope everyone has a fun, and safe time.

Our youth weekend was last weekend. Regular season starts Wednesday. My Dad is taking my 9 year old son this coming weekend for his first turkey hunt.
We can also take bearded hens in Indiana. I have called in a couple over the years. I always pass on them though. My buddy killed one a couple of years ago. It was small, but it was neat looking. I have seen them strut and act like a male turkey. It's funny to watch because it is usually an intimidation display toward another hen. She goes to purring aggressively and chasing the other hens around. :D

Tomorrow's the opening day in CT! I just got done cleaning my Mighty Mossberg 835....& I used my new Lazer Lyte bore sight. My Bushnell Red dot was off a ways. It was high & to the right. So after about a handful of clicks, it looked good to go. I brought it around back and set up a few logs of firewood and threw some lead at em! Couldn't be more happier with it! I think thats a great little gaget. You guys have one? I highly recomend it.

Well..I'm jumping in the shower then off to bed. 4 in the mornin comes early. No duh rip. Anyyyyhow....
Good luck to whomever is goin out gobblin. Be safe......
R13 out.....

Let me start off with a disclaimer. I am not a professional turkey hunter. I have, however, been turkey hunting for over 20 years and have read just about everything I can get my hands on about the sport. What follows is an accumulation of what I have read and experienced over that time.
I would love to start hunting earlier in the spring too, but I really believe that it would lead to more frustration and less future hunting opportunities.
It is not unusual to hear birds gobbling in February in Indiana. The increasing amount of daylight entering the birds eye throughout the day is what triggers the breeding urge, just like the decreasing amount of daylight triggers the whitetail's rut in the fall. If we could hunt in early March before the hens become receptive to the toms, we would probably score on some, but there would be less toms to breed and correspondingly, less turkeys to hunt.
When you see the toms with hens in the fields in Indiana in March and early April, there is not much breeding going on, if any. The weather typically is not condusive to good nesting for the hens.
In my experience, trying to call a tom away from hens that he can actually see is typically a waste of time. It can be done as I have done it on a few occasions, but typically it is a waste of time. Never mind the fact that when a tom does come to our calls, that is a reversal of nature. Toms usually do not go to hens, the hens go to the toms.
Typically the first week or so of the season here in Indiana has the toms with the hens most of the day and alot of breeding going on. That starts to taper off as our short season drags on and by the middle the season, the toms start to actually come to the call because there are less hens to breed and they suddenly find themselves alone. Before that, they can gobble at you all day and never come in, typically because they have a hen with them or are just not ready come to the call.
I prefer the later part of the season for this reason and typically do not worry if I do not get there before the birds start gobbling at first light. Around 9 am -10 am, the few hens left still breeding have left the toms and the toms start to gobble, looking for more fun. This is my favorite time. If you strike the right note, a tom is liable to run you over coming in and gobble in your ear doing it. They do some things that will make you scratch your head and laugh.
The weather does affect my above findings. It has been very warm and for the most part dry this spring at home. That is liable to move things up a few weeks. Greenup is about 4 weeks ahead of schedule. The breeding could possibly have moved up as well. Hopefully, the toms will be receptive to calls, as it does not seem to take the toms long to cool the urge after the hens do not come to them anymore and ignore calls all together.
I am still in Saudi this spring and will not be able to hunt. That sucks mainly because my 9 year old son is going afield for the first time with my Dad and I will miss it. He is all set though. New Mossberg 500 20 gauge youth and new camo. From what Dad has told me, he is shooting good and not afraid of the gun.
I want to wish everyone going out this spring a good, safe hunt. It is all about having fun and learning. Turkeys continue to educate me everytime I hunt them. I doubt I will ever know everything about them as they continue to adapt to climate and habitat change.

Good luck and be safe! :)

I hunted Monday (season opener) and Tuesday. I heard one gobbling like crazy first thing Monday morning as I was walking in. All of a sudden he shut up and I didn't hear anything else the rest of the day. DOH!! I probably got a little to aggressive and tried to work to close before setting up. I knew there was a little ravine between us and I was not sure I could pull him accorss it. I've still got two weekends left in my season and there is more than one bird out there.

Tuesday I never heard a gobble but saw a single hen cross the field about 60 yards in front of me.

Both days the wind was blowing so hard that I might not have heard them gobbling even if they were. I think that's also why I didn't see much. I have to think that the early spring is affecting them as well. I'm sure the mating started earlier and many farmers are already plowing their fields, they were still untouched at this time last year.

I carried my 500c on Monday and my 930 on Tuesday. Hey I like to mix it up.

Here are some pics from one of my setups.

Turkey_2012_Blind_001.jpg

You can kind of see how much the wind is caving in the front of the tent

Turkey_2012_view002.jpg

Decoys set up on the edge of a large field. I like to mix it up this time I set up a Jake mounting a hen. Hoping to pull a tom in to fight for his honor. LOL. Usually I like to just stick with the hens or nothing at all. I've had too much bad luck when trying to use jakes and I will not use tom decoys any more as It seems to deter all but the biggest baddest of toms from coming in. Not that I don't want a big bad tom, but I'm not a trophy hunter and feel it hurst my chances more than it helps in most situations.

Turkey2012_table.jpg
This tent was set up a couple of days ahead of time where I know turkeys pass through so I was able to add a few amenities like a table and a couple of pieces of wood to keep the chair from sinking in the mud.

Turkey_2012_Self.jpg

I had one just about every piece of clothing I could. Pretty much the same as I wear when deer hunting in December, the daytime temp was in the 50's but that wind on the edge of the fields just sucked away any heat I had.

At least you're out there. I don't have any luck with dekes either. I have had way more bad luck than good and typically do not even take one. I think I will start taking one hen deke. 2 years in a row I have wound up on a large field with a big ole' tom in the middle and did not have a deke. He would gobble and strut at me but never come in because he could not see the hen. I think a deke might help.
Good luck the rest of the season.

OMG...I forgot my decoys this morning. :eek: :oops:

I set up in the corner of the field on the NW side of the lot. I have seen Toms and Hens walk by there on many occasions. I had 2 huge trees that fell during the last storm, on my right, and on my left, a large pile of rocks that the farmer had removed from his fields. I was up against a large Oak, and had a small bush in front of me about 2' high. So I had a great camo thing working for me.
I started calling on my slate and heard several gobblers all around me. OOHHH jack pot! A little more calling and then finally 3 hours later there were 2 birds walking down the side of the field towards me. I lifted my binos and saw that they were hens. I called again, and those 2 started talking to me all the way towards me! It must have been a good 20 minutes before they reached me and walked right by me. So now they are off to my left (about 15 yards) walking away, still talking. So I stand up to stretch my legs, and out of the corner of my eye I spot some movement in the field. I turn and look, and it's old Blue tip and 2 of his cronies.

* A little back story on old Blue tip...my neighbor, the farmer, first told me about this huge tom with a bright blue head about 2 years ago. He's been evading all his hunting buddies (for about 6 years now, So that makes him at least 6 years old! ). He never get's too close and it's like he knows the decoys are fake.
He's huge! Anyhow, I first saw old Blue tip a year ago on the side of the corn field near the road. I was driving home from goin' out for some ice cream. I see this bright blue head poking over the stone wall and I slow down and tell my wife to look over at it. She said it looks like a turkey head. So I slow down and put it in reverse, and low and behold it's old Blue tip! And He was with his 2 cronies....After just staring at him in awe of his size for a minute or two, I drive off, The following day I go back to the spot where I saw him and measured the height of the wall, It's about 40" tall. That's a big bird!

Anyhow, back to today....
I turn and look, and it's old Blue tip and his 2 cronies and he starts gobblin and cuttin at me. So I slowly turn and crouch down. I reach over to pick up my Mighty Mossberg 835, I raise it up to sight in old Blue tip but he's just too far away to get a clean shot and the field has a little roll to it and he's at the bottom of it workin his way towards me. I call one more time on my slate, and he's cuttin away, one of his jakes got spooked and I see him duck out of sight, still cuttin. I tried to call him back but he wasn't coming any closer....

I'll get cha old Blue tip...I'll get cha....

I enjoy reading the hunting trips and I look forward to more. :mrgreen:

My buddies and I have chased a bird we call Gobbles on a local military post. We have been after him since 2008. We have gotten shots at him on a couple of occasions, but have not been able to throw him over a shoulder for whatever reason. He gobbles at EVERYTHING we say to him. When he is alone, he comes into about 50 yards, stops, struts and gobbles. He then makes a complete circle around you back to where he originally was and moves off, gobbling the whole way.
We have decoyed him, gave him the silent treatment, called to him while moving away, placed the shooter 20 to 30 yards in front of the caller, tried to ambush him along his route, everything we can think of. No dice. This bird is typically by himself and the most vocal bird in the area.
I have personally called him in 5 different times. The first time was when I missed him, 2 times I shot at birds he was with (killed one), and the last 2 times he came into 50 yards and stopped, strutted, then circled and left. I know of a few others who have shot at him as well. At the morning meeting in Range Control, I have heard other hunters talking about him.
Gobbles has attained nearly legendary status. If he was a loudmouthed 2 year old in 2008, he would be 6 this year. I know he was around last year because my buddies chased him. Gobbles is a good example of one of those birds that will probably never be killed. He is hard hunted because he is easy to get to, has been shot at more than once, and as a result is very smart.

People that don't hunt think it's easy. Just walk out and shoot something. Those that take it seriously know that there is a lot more to it. Gobbles is a perfect example of just how hard it can be. Even given all the technology and equipment we have, we are still not on an even playing field when it comes to the survival senses of a wild animal. That challenge is one of the reasons why I love hunting so much.

MikeD said:
People that don't hunt think it's easy. Just walk out and shoot something. Those that take it seriously know that there is a lot more to it. Gobbles is a perfect example of just how hard it can be. Even given all the technology and equipment we have, we are still not on an even playing field when it comes to the survival senses of a wild animal. That challenge is one of the reasons why I love hunting so much.

I agree, people you think I just walked out and shot my trophy buck. I can tell you that's not how it happened. I spent 10 solid days in the woods during deer season plus days out in the woods scouting around. Turkey is the same way, if not harder. I've never shot a turkey, because quite frankly I don't put enough effort into it. To be a successful hunter requires a lot of hard work and dedication. Hunting is not a hobby or a sport, it is a lifestyle, and like so many other things you get out of it what you put into it.

rjpoog1989 said:
MikeD said:

I agree, people you think I just walked out and shot my trophy buck. I can tell you that's not how it happened. I spent 10 solid days in the woods during deer season plus days out in the woods scouting around. Turkey is the same way, if not harder. I've never shot a turkey, because quite frankly I don't put enough effort into it. To be a successful hunter requires a lot of hard work and dedication. Hunting is not a hobby or a sport, it is a lifestyle, and like so many other things you get out of it what you put into it.

Both of these quotes deserve repeating. I also gave both of you + rep for it too.

I know people who think hunters and fishers just leave the house for a few hours and get their limit and come back home.

Animals are very adept at how they survive.

Deer have a good sense of smell, turkeys have extraordinary eyesight, bears can smell for miles, most predators have better sense of smell and hearing. And including some that can see at night. Shucks, pit vipers (like rattlesnakes) see in thermal heat and can strike you in complete and total darkness (like in caves). Bats hear in sonar and technically don't even "need" eyes.

These are but a few examples and for any given species, this could easily be expanded to other good traits.

Humans are at a disadvantage when you get down to the basics. If it wasn't for our ability to think (and having thumbs that can grasp), we don't have a whole lot to balance things out.

It always makes me laugh when I hear someone tell me that an animal is at an unfair advantage to a hunter.

That is a cliche' from someone who doesn't know squat about what they're talking about.

Well y'all I'm leaving tomorrow at O-dark-thirty for my hunting/fishing/camping/shooting/anything redneck vacation. I hope to come back with lots of pictures with dead turkeys and such, but at the very least I'll have a field report on my new turkey vest. I'll report back in 10 days :D

I went out this mornin at 4:30 and stayed till noon. I didn't hear or see a one. Rats. :(

My 930 strikes again!!

Need sleep now. I'll give more details tomorrow. ;)

For the short version just scroll down to the pics. :-D

Got up Sat and headed out to my tent right at light. I saw one turkey about 100 yards down the edge of the field as I approached my tent. W must have saw each other at the same time as he took off into the woods. In the light and at that distance I couldn't tell if it was a hen or a tom.

I set my decoys up and started calling. Nothing was answering but I was watching a lot of deer in the field so I was happy. Around 8 I can hear something moving around to my right. I peek out the window and see a deer not 10 yards from my tent. He starts snorting and stomping....not at me but at the decoys that are in it's path. Finally he takes off and I see about 4-5 other tails along with it that I hadn't seen.

I break for lunch around 10 or so and I still haven't seen any more turkeys. All in all I did see at least 11 different deer. Possibly more there was a group of 5 that I saw several times and assumed it was the same little herd.

Around 2ish I head back out to the tent. There's not a lot of room on this property to run-and-gun and there are two other people hunting as well. Around 5 I see a single bird come out where I had seen the one earlier but she decides to head the other way and eventually fades from sight across the field.

By 7:30 I had about had enough, I hadn't seen anything up close, no deer were moving in the afternoon and I was just flat tired of sitting. I start packing up my stuff so I can leave at 8 when hunting hours end. As I'm starting to pick up some of my stuff I hear something, footsteps, over to the left. It doesn't sound like a deer, sounds like something with two feet. I keep watching and watching but nothing. Just when I'm about to unzip a back window to see whats back there I see two red heads out the corner window. One heads straight to the decoys and the other hangs back a bit. As soon as the one gets to the decoys and I have a clear view I let go with the 930. Boom, he dropped like lead balloon. The other guy ran in circles for a few seconds before he disappeared into the woods. If I had two tags I might have been able to pull off a double.

He's not the biggest bird I've taken but he will be good eating. He's a young one 4" beard and just some nubs for spurs.

I was using my 930 with 28" barrel and Primos Tight-Wad choke tube. Load of choice, Winchester Super X copper plated #5's in a 3" hull. This is the second bird I've dropped with this combo. It works!!

I don't know if I'm more excited about getting the bird of the fact that I didn't have to get up at 4am this morning. :lol: :lol:

MikeTurkeyField_001.jpg

In the field where he dropped.

MikeTurkeyField_002.jpg

MikeTurkeyYard_001.jpg

You can see the beard a little here.

Biggest or not has never been my goal for hunting. That alone is not what makes a good hunter.

But I always welcome meat in the freezer. ;)

Great job
icon_thumb.gif

Back