• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Turning stock gun to tactical need help

Jimirva

.22LR
So I've got a majoritively stock gun I'm looking to modify. I need advice on forend purhase and recommended slug/ buck barrels. Here's my goal gun *top* and my current rig below. Open to links for suggested purchase.
bd01b55de04e6e341209af750c14dc2f.jpg
acdd474eee8051bfd56b6f0f72f9b19a.jpg
f6300d4482fae2debca97b3a094c733a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just buy the 590. Honesty, by the time you buy a barrel, mag tube, ghost ring, etc., you're really not going to be far off cost from just having bought the gun to begin with

Wish someone had told me that a few months ago haha. At this point the mods have become a learning experience thing.

Yup, what FullAuto said... Major differences between a 500 and 590 (the gun on the top) are the barrel and mag tube and cap. So that's $200 or so right there (I'm guessing on prices). And I can't tell if your foreend is pinned (like a Mav. 88). It almost looks it... If so, you'll need a metal slide tube, nut and matching foreend. That's at least $50 right there. Then the sights will have to be installed. The front is soldered on, the rear attaches via threaded holes in the top of the receiver. If the holes aren't there, they will need to be tapped. $100 for the sight work at a gunsmith not including the cost of the sights. Then the hand guard on top: that's about $25... So what are we up to now? $400 plus to "convert" the gun? o_O This would be a PERFECT reason to buy another gun! :D You will be SAVING money! ;)

I would recommend an 18" barrel and be done with it. It will be a direct replacement for the 28" barrel and easily swapped in seconds. New, they are about $125 but often on sale at places like Midway for $90 or so...

Welcome Aboard! :)

Yikes! Guess I may sit with this fella the way it is for awhile since I'm about to buy a ruger lc9s

Now I'm worried that the forend I just ordered won't work. I do have a pinned forend currently.

Welcome to the learning experience. :eek::D I can't tell from the pictures, but it looks like your 500 is the same parkerized combo I have. If I think about the money I spent on mine, just to take it all off and go back to the way I bought it, I think I would cry. :oops: I've got a plain Jane 18.5" barrel on mine, in addition to the 28" and 24" rifled barrel. It is super light with the pinned forend and 18.5" barrel. I was shocked the first time I put it on. If your gun is parkerized, the matte blued 18.5" barrel is a real close match for the parkerization. From a distance you can't really tell the two apart. I agree with the others, though, about just getting a 590. With the money I wasted on my 500 I could have got a 590. Don't get me wrong, I love my 500, but like I said I wanna cry. :D I would suggest keeping the mods to a minimum on your 500, and save up for an actual 590 configured the way you want. If you want to put a shorter barrel on, the place I found with the best price on 18.5" barrels is Grab A Gun. That's where I got mine. If you already ordered a forend, your best bet would probably be just to order a slide tube from Mossberg directly. I'm guessing whatever forend you ordered will need the 7-5/8" slide tube and nut. Other places like MidwayUSA and Brownells want too much, if they even have it.

Slide & forend ordered. anyone have a recommendation on a barrel to replace the 28" monster that came with it? Needs to be able to fire slugs.

The 18.5" barrel can fire slugs. There's guys on here who can do pretty well with it. I think there's also a 20" barrel that works with the 5 shot magazine tube. I believe it is threaded for chokes, so that may be another option. It'll cost more than the 18.5" barrel, though. The best price for the 18.5" barrel is either from Mossberg directly or Grab A Gun, as I said above. Those are the two shortest barrels you can get for the 5 shot magazine tube.

Haha internet is here but yalls wisdom is not. Already had to order a new slide today

Here's a link to the matte blued 18.5" barrel on Grab A Gun.

http://grabagun.com/mossberg-sons-inc-90016-500xbl-12-18-cb-bead-mt.html

Here's a link to the Mossberg store for the 18.5" barrel. You can choose between blued and matte blued in the drop down box.

http://store.mossberg.com/product/252/500-12-ga-security-barrel-18-5

Since your 500 looks to be parkerized (maybe matte blued, I can't tell from the pics), trust me, you want the matte blued barrel for your gun. :D I made the mistake of getting a blued barrel, and while nice in its own right, just did not look good with the flat finish. I checked MidwayUSA a little bit ago, and the 18.5" barrel is $109.99.

Most of the shorter "security" barrels are cylinder bore, meaning no restriction or "choke", and safe to fire slugs and buckshot, etc. Search "choke size" here or on the web and it will bring up a ton of related threads or pages.

Anyone know if the 18.5" mossberg Standoff Barrel can fire slugs? I'm primarily at an indoor range that requires them.

Anyone know if the 18.5" mossberg Standoff Barrel can fire slugs?

I do not know exactly, but I do not see why not. See if you can download a manual from Mossberg, that should tell you for sure. Plus, you have the added advantage of being able to properly utilize breaching rounds...

Back