• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Unable to remove pins to disassemble

Audleyman

Copper BB
I just bought a new 702 and wanted to give it a good scrub down and lube before i shot it. However, I was unable to remove the pins that hold the reciever/bolt on. Any suggestions?

Verify they actually are the pins you want to remove. I found a pin punch and a small hammer moved them fairly easily. Take care. Tom Worthington.

ahhh is leaving the clip in necessary to remove the forward pin? if so then that explains alot! thanks mingaa

nevermind...I was attempting to push them out the wrong way...i couldnt get them out the way it shows in the manual

Yes the manual is wrong. At least the pic at the removal step is. That pic is actually the installation of the pins.

I have 3 plinksters, 2 715Ts and 1 702 and ive found that the main pins you need to punch out to remove the lower part of the receiver have little splines on one side. All of mine have been push in from the ejection port side. So when you remove them you must prop the receiver up on something with the charge handle down (i use a large roll of duck tape) then pound them out from the flat side.

It makes sence though if i were to mass build a gun like this ide lay it on the flat side to pound the pins in. It seems like the logical side to use.

I havnt taken the rest of the pins out enough to remember if they are pounded in the same way or not but ide guess they are.

Ive had my first 715T and my 702 trigger group out before and i wouldnt recommend doing it. Its not an easy task. So far both ive taken apart i didnt do much good, trying to smooth and polish the parts and make the trigger pull lighter i did nothing to improve it.

BowerR64 said:
I have 3 plinksters, 2 715Ts and 1 702 and ive found that the main pins you need to punch out to remove the lower part of the receiver have little splines on one side. All of mine have been push in from the ejection port side. So when you remove them you must prop the receiver up on something with the charge handle down (i use a large roll of duck tape) then pound them out from the flat side.

It makes sence though if i were to mass build a gun like this ide lay it on the flat side to pound the pins in. It seems like the logical side to use.

I havnt taken the rest of the pins out enough to remember if they are pounded in the same way or not but ide guess they are.

Ive had my first 715T and my 702 trigger group out before and i wouldnt recommend doing it. Its not an easy task. So far both ive taken apart i didnt do much good, trying to smooth and polish the parts and make the trigger pull lighter i did nothing to improve it.

Things like this are a lot easier to remove/install if you freeze it first and work fast. Some dry ice in a cooler or even an hour in the freezer does wonders. :)

GunnyGene said:
BowerR64 said:

Things like this are a lot easier to remove/install if you freeze it first and work fast. Some dry ice in a cooler or even an hour in the freezer does wonders. :)

For what?

The pins are just pushed into plastic mine were not that hard to remove if you push them from the correct side. If you try and punch them out from the wrong side then i think it can be a little harder.

BowerR64 said:
For what?

The pins are just pushed into plastic mine were not that hard to remove if you push them from the correct side. If you try and punch them out from the wrong side then i think it can be a little harder.

I was under the apparently false impression from the above conversation that it was metal on metal and had to be 'pounded' out forcefully. Freezing causes metal to shrink slightly and therefore easier to remove/install mating parts that are an interference fit at normal temps. Bearings on shafts for example. :)

Yeah - I thought we were talking about the pins that drop the receiver from the 'upper' - that is metal on metal with metal pins.

Yeah it is maybe the splines do dig into the receiver. I thought they just stopped at the plastic lower section and the metal wasnt really a tight fit?

Isnt the receiver made of zymac or something similar? Im pretty sure the pins are all metal though.

The bolt i believe is metal (magnetic) the charge handle and barrel but i think everything else is zymack pot metal.

The receiver feels like a softer metal then the pins for sure.

Back