• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Unlocking issue.

Manny 0311

Copper BB
Hello. Bought my combo 500 3 years ago new. Put about 25 rounds through the rifled barrel and 5 through the field barrel at the range. Slow fire, no issues. Past Saturday I took it trap shooting. After it heated up, the pump would not unlock after firing. Sometimes depressing the pump release would work and sometimes it finally released after fiddling with the pump. Used 2 3/4" Winchester sporting rounds. I'm inexperienced with shotguns but experienced with rifles and pistols. I have yet to clean it since Saturday. Modifications are a Wolf mag spring and Brownells follower. Any input? Thanks and take care.

Welcome. Sounds like it's something hanging up with the trigger assembly and bolt. I would tear it down and give the entire gun a good cleaning and light lube. I would also clean the trigger assembly and soak the bolt in some cleaning solvent.

Keep us posted.

Welcome. Sounds like it's something hanging up with the trigger assembly and bolt. I would tear it down and give the entire gun a good cleaning and light lube. I would also clean the trigger assembly and soak the bolt in some cleaning solvent.

Keep us posted.
Will do. The tear down sooner, the wringer later. Thanks.

Keep us posted.
Hello again, tore it down, cleaned it up, soaked the bolt assembly. Nothing unusual. Some wear marks in the receiver, lubed it up. Same thing today. One symptom further. When it wouldn't pump after firing I depressed the trigger and it would click slightly and with some difficulty the pump would unlock. So it seems you might be onto something with the trigger assembly. Some more information. Never a failure to fire. Happens about 30 out of 100 rounds. Happens with rounds still in the magazine or last round. Thanks again.

Back