• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Unwanted house guest

NCLawman

This past Sunday night we had a bit of a startle at my house and now that I've had the chance to cool down a bit and collect my thoughts I figured that I'll share it with you.

We live in a small city on a main road a stones throw from the city limit sign. The local jail is about 5 miles north from our house off the same road that we live on. The outside of our house is well lit with street lights, porch lights, and light over the driveway. I keep my marked patrol car in the driveway and is visable from the road. My wife and I have an 18 year old and a 16 year old boy. We keep guns in the house and we all know how and where they are. Ten months back we came up with a home defence plan when a local gange member made a threat to kill a Police Officer. Three months back my wife began watching children in the day time and I had to move one of the guns and forgot to pass the info to my boys. (Thats strike one).

Sunday evening my wife and I took our oldest son and one of his friends back home. Before leaving, my wife told our younger son that we would be gone for a moment and to wait in the living room (We often have friends and other Officers stop by). And sure enought he went back to his room, closed the door and continued watching his TV show. As we drove north I rember seeing a pedestrian walking south about 1/2 mile from our house, because it was after sundown I could not see his face.

We returned home about 30 min. later and saw two marked patrol cars outside my house. My wifes first thought was that they were stopping by for something to eat, but I could tell by the way that they were positioned that something was not right. I pulled up to Officer "Q" who told me that my son called 911 because of an intruder and that my son was fine and the intruder was in custody. Seeing "RED" I charged over to Officer "L"'s car and was about to snatch a knot in his *$$ when I realized that the video system was on. I recognized him from a recent arrest about a week before. We went to the Magistraits Office, got the warrant, and sent his *$$ back to jail.

I talked with my boy about what had happened and he told me that he was in his room when he heard a voice in the living room. He thought that we had come back, so he came out to see us, when he did he found "R.P." in our living room sitting down. He made his way around "R.P." and went to where the snub nose .357 "was" but it had been moved. He can think on his feet, and it dont take much to out smart "R.P.", so he told "R.P." "My dads in the back I'll get him for you." He went back to my bedroom took the cordless phone that was next to a 930 SPX and went out the window to call 911. Officers "Q" and "L" responded and made entry where they found "R.P." still in the living room.

I'm thankfull that my son is unharmed. I'm thankful that he did not have to shoot. (I would not want him to have to carry that bagage around with him). I'm greatful to Officers "Q" and "L" for thier swift responce. Simply put...we got lucky!

Lessons learned:
1. Never relax your defensive posture.
2. If you make any change, communicate that change to other members of your team.
3. In this day of cell phones, don't leave home without it.
4. For Officers responding to another Officers residence, there are guns inside.

Dang dude, certainly glad to hear your boy is ok and that he made some calm and reasoned decisions!

I appreciate ya sharin this man, good points you made! Thank you!

Good story...great outcome...awesome post...lessons learned !!

+1 rep :cool:

Wow! I appreciate you sharing your experience even though it's hard as parents when we feel like we are at fault. Great pointers and suggestions that will definitely help me or another member in the future!
Glad everyone is safe, you taught your son well!

I'm glad there was a good outcome. Your intruder sounds like a stupid DB.

That's all part of small town life. "Otis the Drunk" from Andy Griffith is now "Otis the Huffer", or "Otis the Meth-Head". A guy who made "poor decisions" in the early '60s is now a legitimate threat to our safety. But he's basically the same guy, and everybody knows him...

I'll definitely add to the chorus of "great outcome". As a parent I know that every parent makes mistakes. The difference is that good parents have laid a foundation so that their children can make good decisions when their parents mess up a little ;) Sounds like you did that! Smart little bugger you got there!

Thank you all for your positive responce, and complaments on my son...yep Blue I think he is a smart bugger to.

Wow, just wow! You got a big blessing that day for the way things turned out. Your son also reflects you and how you've taught him. Good job!

I think i would have not retreated from the house. I would have held the dude at gun point until police arrive. The reason being is that around if you call 911 cops are only minutes away like 20 minutes to be exact. When seconds count 20 minutes is just to long to wait em out without some type of weapon. Around here we have meth heads doing home invasions. I will shoot one if they come in my house i will not retreat. I have prepared myself mentally for a couple years now. We have to be mentally prepared. Maybe i am crazy I dont know but if someone broke into my house id kill him and would not feel remorseful and more than likely would not lose a seconds sleep ovr it because i knew i had done the right thing b protecting myself and my family. I would hate for a.kid to have to deal with having to kill someone in a self defense situation as i know they are not emotionally as strong as me. I think he did the right hing but should have taken th shotty with him.
Sent with Droid Incredible using Tapatalk.

Also glad to hear your son is alright and this ended on a good note. You should be proud of your son for how he handled it. I am sure you have done so already but let him know how proud of him you are. That took guts, maturity, and quick thinking.

Sent with Droid Incredible using Tapatalk.

Tnxdshooter: I understand your point of view. Had I been home at the time we'd be repainting my front room about now. Adrenalin can be a peculular thing, your heart races, muscles brace for action, it clouds your thoughts, and can cause "tunnel vision". I am proud of my son for being able to think on his feet. I am glad that he saw an opportunity to make an escape to safety and took it. You are right to make the mental preparation for things that you can not predict, it makes your decision process less complicated under stress. You and I are adults and understand that life is not always kind, the most tressful thing that my boys have been thrue is a pop quiz in school.

Thanks for the well wishes, and I'll pass on everyones complaments to my son when he gets home from school.

I wouldn't ask a 16 year old to hold a gun on anybody unless it was absolutely unavoidable. That could be like throwing a kid into a pool to teach him to swim. For every Olympic swimmer you create 1000 are wasting time in a psychologists office when they're 45, crying and wondering why Daddy didn't love them...

Just a quick update.

We had court today in the District Court. I brought my son so that he could see the legal process and testify if needed. District Court is often described as a three ring circus where deals and plea agreements are made in the hallway before standing infront of the court. My son and I waited in the court and I was explaining all the different activities as they went about conducting business.

I observed "R.P."s attorney jesture to Officer "L" to meet him in the jury room. I got up to listen in. Now the defence attorney has an obligation to his client, its part of the system and our legal right to representation. He was a new attorney, and I've never met him before. Officer "L" gave him a run down of the incident and introduced me as the home owner. I could see the "Oh $hit!" look on his face, but he still had the nerve to ask "How do you feel if we reduce it to trespassing?" I told him that we would not be reducing any charges. I mainly wanted him to have the Misdemeanor B&E conviction on his record, because up to this point all other convictions on his record show drunk and disorderly in 20 different states. Not kidding, this guy has been arrested in 20 states! So no deal was made.

They call our case and we all stood before the Judge. When asked what his plea was, "R.P." said guilty and Officer "L" gave the court an overview of the case. The Judge went with the minimum of 30 active days in jail because there was no intent of larceny or violence. Then looked directly at "R.P." and said "You got lucky sir. The laws of North Carolina have been changed to allow a victim to use deadly force against an intruder into their home. That young man was fully capable and within his rights to shoot you dead if he chose to."

"R.P." wanted to say he was sory, but honestly I still dont want to hear it and my son just looked away.

Thank you. Things around here have settled down, but I'd be lying if I did'nt say that strange noises, or seeing a vehicle slow down as it passes by our house did'nt put me on alert.

Good job Dad!

Our kids are always (always) a reflection of us. Sometimes I'm immensely proud of what my sons reflect. Sometimes I'm profoundly disappointed by the picture I've painted on their canvas.

I'm glad you shared this. We all need to follow your lead and learn from this but here's the best parts I'll take away from it:

1. Be prepared
2. have a plan and practice it (otherwise know as be prepared)
3. Be prepared
4. Be prepared

The zombies are out there and they just want to steal the life out the rest of us. Your family should hold its head high. At the end of the day if you and yours are still standing, it's a good day.

Again, great job dad. We're all proud of your son, happy it turned out good for everyone (includes your son not having to shoot), and encouraged by your story.

Thanks for sharing.

That is an incredible thing. Thanks for sharing. I can only hope my 16 yo son would be as cool headed as your son if facing a similar situation. You are preparing your boys well for life in a not so nice world.

NCLawman......

Glad you and yours are safe!!! :D
Question for ya, how did he get in? Also tell your son......GOOD JOB!!!!

Lugi,
Sorry for the slow responce, but I have not had much time on the web lately. We've moved back in March, but to answer your question. The doors to that house were stiff opening and closing. It is possable that on our way out, we may not have closed the door behind us all the way to the point that the lock would latch. That's all I can reasonably think of.

Back