• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Using a shotgun as a rifle?

I guess that all depends on the setup of the gun, what you consider long distence and what you consider acceptable accuracy

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Oli700 on here has made 200 yard shots from his 20" Persuader with the help of a spotter. At 200 yards the drop of the slug is somethin like 18" or better.

Its possible, but the other issue is how much energy is lost at that range? I dont know the answer.

So back to what Mike said, what kind of accuracy would be acceptable and at what range? Some manufacturers have decent ballistic data on their loads that may be helpful in your quest! ;)

You can make the shot, is it lethal enough is the question. If you’re hunting and are shooting 100 yards or better I would opt for a rifled barrel and sabot slugs.

If I had a scope on my 500 I wouldn’t need a spotter so the shot isn’t too hard after you find where to hold it seemed about 2 feet high for me lol. I shoot full power slugs and while it is a lot of lead it isn’t going that fast out there at 200 yards. I found them stuck in the treated 4x4 frame I have holding the gong only stuck in about an inch or less. Inside 100 yards they do considerable damage to the frames

Rifled barrel and sabot rounds yes. If the barrel has a cantilever for the scope to mount certainly. If the scope mounts to the receiver, there could and most likely would change due the the small amount of movement between the receiver and the barrel. With the cantilever, this eliminates this problem.

Some sabots have a muzzle velocity faster than 2000 feet per second and zero drop at 100 yards. A 9mm pistol is about 900 feet per second to give you an idea. Sabots must be used in a rifled barrel to be effective, foster slugs on the other hand prefer a smooth barrel with improved or cylinder bore barrels.

Depending on which weight 9mm bullet you're talking about,

115 gr 9mm is about 1300 fps
124 gr 9mm is about 1200 fps
147 gr 9mm is about 1025 fps
+P is obviously faster than all of the above, and shooting it out of longer barrel carbines also increase the velocity.

Same goes for the shotgun slug barrel. Longer barrels will increase velocity, and effective range. That's why you don't see duck hunters using 18.5 inch barrels :cool:

John A. said:
Longer barrels will increase velocity, and effective range. That's why you don't see duck hunters using 18.5 inch barrels :cool:

I don't necessarily agree with this. With the older slower burning powders this was often the case. With modern loads most if not all of the power is burned off in the first 24" or so. A barrel longer than that isn't contributing much in terms of velocity. I prefer the longer barrel for ducks because the weight makes it easier to swing and follow moving targets.

Liked the Hickok video, that's about the range ill be wanting to shoot. no more than 250 yards, but mostly within the 100-200 range. Just wanting to know if with practice I can make good clean shots with a 20" barrel and magnum rifled slugs, or should i just get a 30-06 hahahhaha?

Can it be done? Yes.

Should it be done? If you are hunting where the shots frequently extend past 100-150 yards there are much better choices out there than a shotgun. You could make a shotgun work if you are dedicated enough to find the optimal setup but a rifle is much better suited to those types of shots.

Shooting paper I would say go for it all day long. When taking an animal I would make the choice that I feel is the most humane and ethical. For long ranges, i do not feel that a shotgun is the best tool for that job. As hunters we owe it to the animal to make a quick, humane kill. If we cannot do that then we shouldn't be hunting IMHO.

I'll be the first to say that I'm a big fan of 30-06 even though I currently don't own one.

You can get a lot more than 200 yards out of it though ;)

Early on, aside from anti-personnel, 30-06 was used to stop light armor and aircraft if the operator could get enough lead in them.

John A. said:
I'll be the first to say that I'm a big fan of 30-06 even though I currently don't own one.

You can get a lot more than 200 yards out of it though ;)

Early on, aside from anti-personnel, 30-06 was used to stop light armor and aircraft if the operator could get enough lead in them.

+1

I own a 30-06. It's big enough to take any animal on the continent and versatile enough to use for any anything I will ever hunt and is accurate at ranges beyond those that I will ever hunt. I've also never been in a sporting goods store or any store that sells ammo that did not stock it.

I agree on the humane kill. I wouldnt use my shotguns for hunting at those ranges, though I do use my 20" guns for bird hunting.

I too am wanting a rifle for longer hunting, but I'll be doin somethin in .308 only because its less expensive than .30-06 food and still plenty big enough for anything I'm likely to be huntin.

I admit that I haven't bought any 30-06 ammo in a while, but I bought a BUNCH of greek surplus from CMP for pretty cheap.

$29 per 100, though they were on Garand clips and had their own bandolier.

And that has been a while.

.30-06 springfield is goin for about $17 per 20 for the cheap stuff. .308 Win. cheap ammo is about half that.

I havent looked at the bulk prices, but that and shopping arund can pay off. Just watch the shipping charges cuz some of the places have crazy high shipping and a good deal can end up costing more than goin to Bass Pro and pickin up just one box. Same goes for buyin any ammo online. For my parts, Palmetto State is the best choice. No matter what I've ordered and how much, shipping has always been $6.

I'm reload'n for my '06.

Thanks miners......like your house ? Thank a logger :lol:

Here's someone plinking at 150 yards with a Remmy and Slugs:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrwUxYwhJvE[/youtube]

dorangolv said:
Here's someone plinking at 150 yards with a Remmy and Slugs:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrwUxYwhJvE[/youtube]
Nice video thanks for sharing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Back