• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

vang comp or chokes for 590A1

dog229

.22LR
Dog229 Here,
A real GOOD question. I want my a590a1 to shoot better groups with slug ammo. I know how the cone lengthing and back bore is needed in either way done but isn't with chokes give more adjustable way of pattern your gun and with the vang comp what is the choke dia. you will end up with like cylinder or i.c. and still remember i am shooting slug ammo more than pellet . My gun is 18.5 barrel and is porting all that important making the gun louder also. My first really nice shotgun and i don't want to screw it up the first time. My useage is on the farm and personal protection with also using non-lethal rubber ball ammo also. My question is often asked but never really answered in a way to understand it correctly.
Thanks
Dog229 Gone

VCS is supposed to help slug accuracy. Don’t know personally till the end of July or so.

Well if you're already IC or C, I'd go with the Vang Comp and see what you get for accuracy. You can always get threaded down the road for tubes, but if you're shooting rifled slugs and good flite control buck when it matters, you should be good to go after the chamber work.

I don't have strong feelings about porting one way or the other. When I'm firing a lot, I wear ears, So I don't worry about loudness, and if I'm firing to save my life, a few extra Decibels wouldn't bother me.

The porting reduces muzzle climb and muzzle flash at night. Reduced muzzle climb allows for a faster follow up shot.

blue said:
Well if you're already IC or C, I'd go with the Vang Comp and see what you get for accuracy. You can always get threaded down the road for tubes, but if you're shooting rifled slugs and good flite control buck when it matters, you should be good to go after the chamber work.

I don't have strong feelings about porting one way or the other. When I'm firing a lot, I wear ears, So I don't worry about loudness, and if I'm firing to save my life, a few extra Decibels wouldn't bother me.

I agree with Blues statements. Your questions have been answered in another thread, I think in the ammo section. The lengthening of the forcing cone and back boring create a longer smoother transition between the chamber and muzzle. The muzzle constriction (choke) will remain the same. The 590A1 is a cylinder bore and that won't change. The smoother transition I mentioned allows pellets to stay together longer without bumping around in the barel, this is my simplest understanding, otherwise, call Vang and ask for Cody or John.

I'm having my barrel done too and will be sure to let everyone know how it goes!!!

Back