• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Vang Comp Safety

Cajun

.22LR
I just did the safety mod using the oversized Vang Comp safety and about 5 minutes of my time. Very easy to remove the safety screw using a 3/16" standard screwdriver and didn't loose any parts! This is a great simple mod to start with. My shotgun is a #50521 and next will be the forearm replacement. I ordered the complete assembly from Mossberg and should arrive in a week or so. The nut and slides are suppose to be parkerized to match the rest of the shotgun. Has anyone ever installed the anti rattle spring #13484P on their forearm? Tim

Cajun said:
Has anyone ever installed the anti rattle spring #13484P on their forearm?

I'm not familiar with that spring part number. Mossberg has done various things over the years to reduce rattle, with one of them being dimples.

Mossberg has two (2) different forend springs to reduce rattle. The old style was a coil spring wrapped around the mag tube; this required a specific mag tube. I doubt this is what you are referring to as these are long gone.

Today the forends come with an anti-rattle leaf spring installed under the action bars. All late-model forends should already have these. They are a real pain to install on old forends because the action bars don't come out and aren't cut for the spring.

Still waiting for Mossberg to ship the complete parkerized forearm. It has been 12 days now since I ordered it. I did call Mossberg and the part #13484P does come in the assembly. The Vang Comp safety, which shipped in 4 days from Brownell's, is awesome. Glad I did the mod. Tim

My '94ish era 500 doesn't have any type of springs in the forearm assembly. Any links to pics on the leaf spring type thats on the newer models?

Intersting. Does it take a lot of the slop out of the forend?

The ends of my action bars just butt tightly up against the forend which limits their movement some.

Yes the late model forends reduce rattle significantly. I'll try to do a forend write-up soon.

I doubt there is a specific torque setting for the safety bolt. I'm sure one could find a standard torque rating for same-size hardware but this is little point in this. Just take the bolt and 'torque till tight'. Blue (medium) threadlocker is used to secure the hardware.

Thanks for the Torque Table! Old habit of mine from my aviation days. Mossberg is suppose to ship me the complete forearm assembly BUT in matte black as they have one in stock. They said it is very close in color and would not be able to see it well. My other option would have been to wait and no one knew when the parkerized version would be available. Tim

Cajun, I can confirm the finishes are very close.

The matte black on my 930s is extremely flat with no gloss at all. My park'd 590A1 has a little more grey/green to it, but sitting them side by side the finishes are very similar...

Well, my assembled forearm assembly came in yesterday and I put it on. You are correct, Snipe, the finishes are very close and I am glad I made these two mods to my 500. I started out wanting a 590A1 with the 18.5" barrel for $500, sold the day before I went to get it, and I ended up with a great 500 for $420! I am pleased and it shoots great! Thanks to this site for the info and help! Tim

photo 2.JPG photo 3.JPG photo 1.JPG
New Vang Comp Safety, New front end to replace pinned forearm and here it is! Mossberg 500 Persuader #50521. Tim

Nice job!
Is there any other advantage to the safety besides it being oversized?
Sometimes mine seems to catch a little. Doesn't bother me to much, but my girl has troubles with it when we shoot.

Nice job!
Sometimes mine seems to catch a little.

Each shotgun is different, and different again whenever the safety button is changed. They really do vary from bad to outstanding. I've never figured out a way to make a bad one good.

The solid aluminum buttons seem to feel better than any. The new hollow plastic ones feel the worse but is an otherwise great button.

Back