• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Various 12 ga yesterday......

sumoj275

.270 WIN
While on a trip last week, I picked up some different 12 ga along the way. No pics, just my observation in informal shooting.
Remington 3" slug Green and Yellow box:
Really like it as it is very accurate up to a 100 yds, the longest shot I had.

Rio Double BB in 25 rd box: Held tight groups and for the price was really nice. Can see where this would be a good house load.

Fiocci OO Buck in 10 rd box: seemed pretty easy on recoil, average spread.

Hornady $ Buck Varmint: My favorite of the day. Groups really well, a lot of shot, and a great house rd in my opinion since there is less ov er penetration like OO Buck.

Federal Bulk 12 ga OO Buck, 25 rd box: shoots like military load. Not great, but not bad.

Winchester Wal Mart Slug: Seems pretty warm, ok accuracy.

Remington Wal Mart Slug: More accurate than the Winchester.

Federal Wal Mart Slug: I really liked it but only had 5 rds.
\
Winchester 3" Buck, Wal Mart: Most punishing to the shoulder. Zombie fodder for sure.

All were 2 3/4" except the Winchester Buck and Remington Slugs as noted. These were fired through my 590A1 with GRS and my brothers 590A1 with bead sight.

Well, maybe next time I will have a target stand made and be more scientific, that is the plan. And oh yeah, more rounds too!

Cool man! Appreciate your observations of several loads, Thank You! Always love to hear more about ammunition!

I need to find a way to make a target holder for the outdoor range we go to. The ground is so hard that driving in post will take a 8 lb sledge, so ideas would be welcomed on a stand.

Check out the thread HERE.

Thanks for the info. I have been buying a few Remington green and yellow bulk packs every payday and have plans on using them as range fodder soon. Sounds like I can depend on them for honing my skills for a while.

Ripsnortr said:
Check out the thread HERE.

Thanks for the info. I have been buying a few Remington green and yellow bulk packs every payday and have plans on using them as range fodder soon. Sounds like I can depend on them for honing my skills for a while.

Try Cheaper than Dirt. Price with shipping is very good. I buy Remington slugs and #3 buck by the brick.

My brother and I went to a small gun show this weekend. We got about 13 boxs of the Centurian slug for under 4.75 a box, a couple boxs of S&B OO Buck, and a couple boxs of S&B #4 Buck--these are the 25rd boxs. Range day soon, and thanks for the link to the targets.

Just got back from Dick's Sporting Goods here in PA...after getting a store circular stating that if you bought a 100 round brick of Winchester Super Target shotgun ammo at regular price ( $29.99 ), a second brick could be had at 50% off...so for less than $100, I scored 400 rounds of Winchester 12 guage 2 3/4" 8 lead shot ( 3 dram - 1 1/8 oz ) with a velocity of 1200fps.

Same sale was available for all Remington UMC ammo...buy a box at regular price, second box 50% off ( priced equal or lesser value, of course )

Sale runs Sunday June 12th through Saturday June 18th. :mrgreen:

Now I am really curious about accuracy using slugs! I have a 930 Home Defense model, and replaced the barrel with a 24" Turkey barrel. I removed the XXFull and replaced it with an IC choke. I could not hit the broad side of a barn with it at 50 yards with the turkey sights. I have now replaced the "T" sights with a small Truglo bead but have not tried it yet. (see Turkey barrel notes)
I doubt accuracy would be improved and consensus seems to be it is for 25 yards at best :?:
While I used cheap Wolf slugs, I really doubt better accuracy would be attained with better slugs.

Is it possible that outside of a rifled barrel, the 930 autoloader has anything to do with it? Mossberg says no- just need the rifled barrel for any decent accuracy beyond that 25 yd line- all the way out to 100. Anybody know?

So you are currently using a 24" barrel with an IC choke for slugs?

I dont see any issues with that. Once you switch the chokes out, its no longer the "turkey barrel" really, just a long barrel with an IC choke tube. No reason you shouldnt be able to hit with decenct accuracy to 50 yards and beyond. First time I ever grouped slugs was with a 20" barrel and had a 6" group. Those were Federal PowerShok 1600 fps, same thing available at nearly anyplace that sells ammo.

With practice, no reason 100 yards couldnt be achieved. The rifled barrel and sabot slugs arent needed for that sort of thing, but the rifling and load may have a flatter trajectory meaning less compensation and hold over on your target.

Generally the drop on a 1 oz. rifled slug at 100 yards is around 18", speaking generically. Load manufacturers sites will have better ballistic info.

If youre having trouble getting on paper, start at 15 yards, then back up to 20 or 25 yards. repeat this process and get an idea of where your gun and load combination is placing rounds. They maybe high center, low left, or where ever. But get an idea, back up to 50 yards and start holding your bead on target to compensate, if your gun groups low left to say 8 oclock, hold high right to 2 oclock.

If I dont practice and stay sharp now, I shoot 3 to 4" groups at 50 yards. Some people make little clover leaf patterns with slugs and paper, like cute little arts and crafts! :D

Hope this makes sense and I'm not rambling too much...

Right Rossignol- I get it. Just seems a lot of compensation just to fire a slug. Perhaps back in the day with a full choke Remington 11-48 and 30" barrel I got spoiled. However, I might have turned the full into a modified...ha ha. I could hit a telephone pole at 80 yards (I think a good "pace" really is 30 inches, not a full yard) and be vertically spot on. Windage might move some- so that was awesome.
Additionally the two downed deer I got were both shot at less than 30 yards, and DOA in less than that. So...If I really want to use this gun for that, I think you got it right. I watched another guy at a range with a short barrel pump and he was clueless on what to do next...

Back