• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

waterfowl conversion?

wingman01

Copper BB
hey yall, im new to this site and have a question that i cant seem to find answered..

i have the opportunity to buy a mossberg model 500A i know there are alot of aftermarket parts you can buy for this model and there are some things i would like to change on this gun if i bought it so i was wondering if:

1) is there any way this gun could be modified to shoot 3 1/2 shells?
2) im not sure on the barrel length of this specific gun but it seemed to short for what i would want to use it for which is duck and goose hunting so what is the longest barrel you can buy for this gun? and if both of the things i want to do to this gun are possible, how much would any of you think it would cost for parts?

thank you all in advance!

I have an older model 500 that came with 2 barrels...both for birds. This was before they came out with the Accu-Choke system (replaceable chokes).

Just doing a quick web search shows that there are several locations to purchase other barrels. An example is:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/4242370?wmlsp ... la&veh=sem

I'm not suggesting this is the correct barrel (or vendor) but there are barrels available. You can get them from Mossberg but the wait can be a while at this time. It is hit-or-miss due to demand. Make sure it is an Accu-Choke compatible so you can buy a waterfowl choke (full may not be enough depending in range).

Hope this helps some.

wingman01 said:
hey yall, im new to this site and have a question that i cant seem to find answered..

i have the opportunity to buy a mossberg model 500A i know there are alot of aftermarket parts you can buy for this model and there are some things i would like to change on this gun if i bought it so i was wondering if:

1) is there any way this gun could be modified to shoot 3 1/2 shells?
2) im not sure on the barrel length of this specific gun but it seemed to short for what i would want to use it for which is duck and goose hunting so what is the longest barrel you can buy for this gun? and if both of the things i want to do to this gun are possible, how much would any of you think it would cost for parts?

thank you all in advance!

hello wingman.welcome from NY.
1) if it's a 500A,,,no. 2 3/4 or 3"
2)you will need to know what barrel is on there now to know what you can put on it as is.
barrel's can be bought for anywhere between $75. to $250. if you need to change the mag tube another $50. maybe.
barrels run 18.5" to 30" (there are come 32" and 38" around,but i don't think they are made anymore.)
i would find out exactly what model and barrel it has now.
keep us posted.

thanks for the quick responses, i was hoping i could turn it into a 535 or 835 of sorts as these cheaper mossbergs are kind of hard to come by where i come from when i seen the gun earlier today i would guess the barrel is somewhere around 22'' maybe. i suppose i could count my losses on not haveing the 3 1/2 option and just get a 28'' barrel if i decided to buy the gun. also this gun is old school woodland camo that came from the factory. what would i have to do to get a longer barrel that would match?

which pic does it look like?

if it has the 18.5 barrel and tube all you need is a barrel.
if it has the 20" barrel and tube you will need to also buy a new mag tube.
hope this helps you. :)

Attachments

• 18.5 barrel.jpg
    18.5 barrel.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 57
  • 20 barrel.jpg
    20 barrel.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 57
couldnt tell ya for sure.. it was at the gun store im probably just gonna go ahead and buy it and try it out on skeet once all the snow melts and get a longer barrel if needed ill try to get back on here tomarrow to post the true barrel length

wingman01 said:
couldnt tell ya for sure.. it was at the gun store im probably just gonna go ahead and buy it and try it out on skeet once all the snow melts and get a longer barrel if needed ill try to get back on here tomarrow to post the true barrel length

a picture would be great.

Welcome from StL MO!

Barrels and chokes on a 500 are easy to play with and there is some bad azz 3" ammo available. If yo truly want/need 3 1/2" capability you are looking at a different gun like the 535, 835 etc.

Back