• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Weird dry powder outside of barrel???

aggie1982

Copper BB
I am a new owner and hunter. I took my 500 trap shooting for only 1 round. I put it back in a zippered case. A few weeks later when I took it out I notice some dried up whittish powder on the outside of the barrel at theb ase where thebarrel hit that lil base( not the receiver) but theb ase of the barrel right where that line is where the base and the barrel meet. I included a picture. Is this something I might have to send the barrel back to mossberg? How do I even send a barrel back? What kind of packaging? Do I need to ship it through a firearms dealer cause I don't think UPS will take a shotgun barrel? Here is the picture: You can see that it's right after the lil screw looking thing right where there is a line or connection of the barrel and the base of the barrel? Thanks for any help.

Dried Powder.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hard to tell from a picture, but it looks like you got something on the barrel to me, rather than something wrong with the barrel itself.

Have you tried to clean it?

The white powdery stuff may be fuzz from the liner of your gun case stuck to it if that is the case in the background.

I saw in the same place before only not as much. It was also on the end of the magazine tube the first time. It was powder stuff. I used a gun brush and brushed it all off n it flaked off. I'll inspect my case and next time I shoot it I'll leave it out of the case a while to see if it forms again.

Just wondering if it has ever been determined what this powder substance on the barrel was ? I have seen this a previous time on another Mossberg barrel.

The pic makes it look like there is a crack in the barrel. Hopefully this is not the case

Ooops, didn't see that this was over a year old.

Welcome to the Forum Granpooba!!

Not a problem with this thread being over a year old, as I just purchased my Mossberg 930 a few weeks ago. Have only been shooting TRAP and not that many rounds with Remington or Federal " light " clay / target loads.

Came across this thread while just surfing the forum and said that " Aggies " problem looks and sounds exactly like mine, except the residue is not showing up as much on my firearm. But it is in the exact same place and looks like the exact same substance. Thus, I became a little nervous, took some pictures and talked to my dealer.

My dealer in turn called Mossberg and the distributor from whom we received the Mossberg. After conversations with both parties it seems that even though all parties seem to agree that they are not sure on what is causing it, but what it may be is a very small crack, naked to the eye and causing a gas leak. Strange thing is the leak and residue may not show up while shooting the firearm, but if you let it sit for a day or two the residue will start to appear.

NOW, the good news !! My dealer just called and because my Mossberg was purchased through " DAVIDSONS ", I now have a " NEW " Mossberg coming as a replacement and should be here within the next couple of days. Originally I wanted my Mossberg to come from DAVIDSONS as they do provide a " Lifetime " warranty. In my situation, it appears that I truly made the right decision on where to purchase my firearm.

Yes, but after they replace my Mossberg 930, I may be purchasing a Beretta A300. Not sure which firearm I will label my #1 and #2 gun. LOL

Well, I received my new Mossberg 930 today, which replaced my other new Mossberg 930. From what I have been told, it appears that the substance appearing on the barrel is a result of a gas leak. I could see no separations or cracks, but have been told that it would be so small that it would be invisible to the naked eye.:rolleyes:

Also, I decided against purchasing the Beretta A300. Ordered instead a Weatherby SA-08. Should be in my hands by the end of this week. :)

Don't think it could be bluing salts . Why after cleaning it off, it would keep coming back after three trips to the clubs trap range ? Only explanation that I have received thus far is that the barrel is cracked and it is a gas leak. :eek:

Firearm is already on its way back to the distributor / factory and I will be shooting this evening with its replacement, which took only one week to acquire.

But to tell you the truth, I am kind of loosing faith in Mossberg. Yes I agree that I have read and heard many good things about Mossberg. But my experience has not exactly been the happiest for me. :( I am hoping that my view / opinion of the firearm with change in the future, but only time will tell. :rolleyes:

Really looking forward to receiving the new Weatherby, hopefully by the end of this week.:) Really hoping that my experience with the Weatheby will be better than the one that I have had with the Mossberg. ;)

Now that I am getting all of my ducks in a row, guess I will call my gunsmith to see if my LANBER O/U has the new recoil pad installed. :confused:

Catch you folks later ...............

Mossberg pump guns and Italian auto-loaders are the way to go. Not the other way around

If that is the way to go, then how do you reduce the recoil on a Mossberg pump that nobody cares for ? Granted the Mossberg pump is a very good firearm, with many being out in the field. ;) But people do like firearms with less recoil. :eek: And personally, if I wanted to subject myself to the recoil of a Mossberg pump, I might just as well keep shooting my Lanber O/U. :rolleyes:

Remember that " Old Saying ", that " Variety is the spice of life ". :D

Push-pull stance http://www.mossbergowners.com/forum/index.php?threads/500-recoil.11265/#post-147443 , Limbsaver recoil pad, reduced recoil ammo. All have been discussed here. Even with that, there's still the laws of physics. :)

Understand the push/pull stance ! Having Limbsaver installed on my O/U as we chat ! Don't really like to use reduced recoil ammo as I " personally " feel that it does not put the shot out at a rate per second or at the distance that I care for ! " REDUCED " always meant to me that you are giving up something. Finally physics ? Took that course in High School and I don't think that I passed it back then .................. :confused: Thus, I guess that I will most likely continue to purchase firearms that offer me the least recoil, at least in my mind. :) Put 100 rounds through my Mossberg 930 All Purpose yesterday, with hardly noticing any recoil. ;) Hopefully I will be able to build back up my confidence in Mossberg products. :rolleyes:

If I did things correctly, from day one, I would have just purchased a Remington 1100 Classic Trap. But that could also be in my future. :cool: Another problem is that I am running out of space in my gun safe. :(

Understand the push/pull stance ! Having Limbsaver installed on my O/U as we chat ! Don't really like to use reduced recoil ammo as I " personally " feel that it does not put the shot out at a rate per second or at the distance that I care for ! " REDUCED " always meant to me that you are giving up something. Finally physics ? Took that course in High School and I don't think that I passed it back then .................. :confused: Thus, I guess that I will most likely continue to purchase firearms that offer me the least recoil, at least in my mind. :) Put 100 rounds through my Mossberg 930 All Purpose yesterday, with hardly noticing any recoil. ;) Hopefully I will be able to build back up my confidence in Mossberg products. :rolleyes:

If I did things correctly, from day one, I would have just purchased a Remington 1100 Classic Trap. But that could also be in my future. :cool: Another problem is that I am running out of space in my gun safe. :(

I don't use reduce recoil in my old 590 Mariner for the same reason. Many other factors play into the felt recoil equation also, as I'm sure you know, so won't bother to list them. All boils down to what the user is comfortable with anyway, and I'm not one to tell other people what they "ought" to be comfy with. Enjoy your guns, whatever they may be, and may they accomplish the tasks you set forth for them. :)

I don't use reduce recoil in my old 590 Mariner for the same reason. Many other factors play into the felt recoil equation also, as I'm sure you know, so won't bother to list them. All boils down to what the user is comfortable with anyway, and I'm not one to tell other people what they "ought" to be comfy with. Enjoy your guns, whatever they may be, and may they accomplish the tasks you set forth for them. :)

Can not agree with you more. ;) I feel what it all boils down to is that we all enjoy what we have and what we are doing as life is way to short to do anything else. :)

There is a difference between "Reduced Recoil" ammo and "Low Recoil" ammo. And both those terms are usually associated with slugs and buckshot.

Reduced Recoil buckshot is 1335-fps instead of 1600-fps. A noticeable difference but still pretty strong numbers.
Low Recoil buckshot is farting along at 1100-fps and they are really anemic and ineffective in most cases.

Yes, when you get into dedicated Trap/Skeet factory ammo the manufacturers will advertise that one or another particular product number has reduced recoil (shot weight vs. Dram equivalent). See Remington STS line of shotgun ammunition for a perfect example.

But labeling competition ammo as "Low" or "Reduced" recoil is not as common as the slug/buck stuff out there where recoil is a big marketing tool.

Back