• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Welding on an Aluminum Reciever

Rogan Kenzie

Copper BB
I recently tried to mount a scope rail on my Mossberg 500 12 gauge' s aluminum receiver. As you can imagine the threads stripped and I was in quite the pickle. I'm at the point now where I can either buy a deer slayer rifled barrel with a rail pre-attached or I had this wacky idea that I might be able to get a gun smith to weld the rail onto the receiver. Before I go marching into my gunsmith, I wanted to know if anyone here knew about the feasibility of welding on an aluminum receiver. Thanks for the help!

Having the holes repaired would be easier. And I would be wary of having someone weld on aluminum unless they were VERY proficient at it...otherwise you may be replacing the receiver.

Welcome to the forum from NY. Sorry to hear about the stripped receiver.
The best way to repair it is to use heli-coils. You can get the in hardware stores,auto part stores.
If you buy the small kit all you need is a drill.

Attachments

• helicoil.jpg
    helicoil.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 97
Thank you both so much! Am I to assume that by installing heli-coils that I won't have the same problem with the aluminum being too weak?

After installing a heli coil it will be stronger than factory. :)

If you weld aluminum, it will have to be done with a tig welder.

Also, since welders will not join unlike materials, the rail would also have to be aluminum.

And then, you would need to refinish the receiver and rails at a minimum.

But what would be wrong with having new holes drilled and tapped? Most are plenty strong enough as long as you don't use too large of a screw, cross thread it, or not over tighten it and strip it out (use Loctite) or otherwise do something yourself that would goof them up.

Back