• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

What are those bulk skeet shells good for?

John A. said:
The bottoms look like this

90281.JPG

As for rifled slugs, here is what I was telling you about on page 1 about swaging

http://www.bulletswage.com/slugs.htm

The slugs I am making are like a sabot because they seat in the shot cup and don't touch the barrel anyway.

Would a rifled barrel impart a stabilizing spin to the sabot/shotcup slugs like you are making?

I have no idea on these because I have yet to shoot any, plus I don't own a shotgun with a rifled barrel, however, that's generally how it works.

Yes, as long as you have nothing between the slug and the wad. The "key" across the hollow base of the slug needs to engage the plastic of the wad. The wad engages the lands in the rifled barrel

Damn you guys!!!

I just orderred, well backorderred, some more stuff. As though I didn't have enough on my plate as it is. LOL

Reality is that birdshot/skeet/trap loads are still available but most other is not where I've been looking. Having mulitple options is never a bad thing.

I still have a bankers box full of hulls from when I used to reload for skeet and I'm building a reserve of birdshot. :D :D

screw you Mike, last time I talked to you I dropped a 1000 bucks on AR parts !

oli700 said:
screw you Mike, last time I talked to you I dropped a 1000 bucks on AR parts !

You're Welcome ! ;)

,,,,,boy oh boy,,,,lee loading equipment is getting as scarce as ammo, backordered.

looking around ya think i would be able to get set up making slugs with lee equipment for about $200.?

for the press, pot, mold....yeah

Primers are everywhere less than 4 bucks per 100, wads are cheap and everywhere, powder averages 20 bucks a pound, need hulls. If you wait till you get the mold it has the data so it will let you know some components to try as far as powder, wads and such

Got my roll crimpers from Midway today. :D :D :D

I went ahead and orderred the 12 and 20 guage models....you never know.

The rest of my stuff is still on backorder.

My interest in this stems from the fact that I can't find any #4 buckshot for home defense, or ANY buckshot recently. I have 25 shells of 00 buck, which may over-penitrate and endanger my close neighbors.

I am considering ordering a bulk bottle of #4 buck lead pellets, using the drill press method to dump the shot, refill the cup with #4 and then use a cards and/or wax under the existing crimp to seal the top. The recoil should also be less with target loads.

Any flaws in my plan? Be nice, I'm new.

Nick I've orderred a couple hundred rounds of #4 from Natchez's. Check them out. They do impose a hundred round limit per day.

Sent from my Mossberg 930 using Tapatalk2

Some months ago,I used the same system as John A. to make several slugs.I bought a 25 box of RIO Magnum(1 1/3 oz.),number 6 for small game.Before trying it,I "ripped" differents types and loads and the weight of powder was measured.The RIO Magnum has the biggest powder charge:34 grains.
I have been using the lighter LEE mold,7/8 ounce.
The system that I used:
-Cut the shotshell with cutter.
-Take the lead and use it to cast the bullets.Be carefull with the mold temperature.Nitesite has explained it very well.
-Cut the wad and put an adhesive felt disk on it,to make the sit for bullet.
-Put the bullet inside wad.
-Make the crimp.You need around 1/3" free shell from wad to make the roll crimp.I use a polymer crimping tool made in your Country.Also,I use a drill with a vertical support.Important to use low revolutions on it.If you give a minimun quantity of gun oil with a stick for ear cleaning ,at top of shell, the procces is better.The link for crimping tool.
http://slugsrus.com/store/product25.html
Very important to achieve a good pressure in shotshell when crimping.The shouldn´t be gap between bullet-wad-shell.
Normally you get a shotshell smaller than the initial.

[img]http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk77/jselous/IMGP0868.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk77/jselous/IMGP0869.jpg[/img]

very nice.....you can name yours the Conquistadores

John makes Kentucky Executioners

is that the norm to loose that much of the hull roll crimping? how do you make that up on the inside? different wads?

Thank you for the pics Selous.

Here is how the first couple KY Executioners turned out.

In order to do a correct roll crimp, I had to shorten the shot cup by about half so the roll crimp wouldn't interfere with the cup as it was being fired.

1ozslug001_zpsa175e42f.jpg

And then, I used a cordless drill with the Ballistics Products roll crimp to snug up against the top of the slug, more like a factory slug

1ozslug002_zps484f4734.jpg

After looking at them and being rather proud of myself, I decided that I just had to try the first two off the assembly line out to see how they do in live fire.

Both were shot about 15 yards. In all fairness, I wasn't really shooting for groups because I was a bit nervous the first shot anyway because my wife warned me before I left that she didn't want me blowing myself up.

Again

:lol:

But they still printed pretty dog gone good despite that, and thankfully, they had a very mild recoil for a slug.

1ozslug006_zps4eb7f0a5.jpg

And from the back side

1ozslug008_zps3f92dcea.jpg

And this was just too good to pass up on an impulse purchase.

1ozslug009_zps1535cf9a.jpg

Back