• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

What are you shooting?

MrDig

So far I have shot some XM855 62gr Steel Core and XM 193 55gr as well as some 55gr reloads my Brother made for me.
So far the reloads and the XM193 seem to be the most accurate and give me good groups at 100 yards
It seems the 62gr Steel Core is Inconsistent at best down right Horse Excrement at worst.
What Factory Loads would you Recommend if you shoot them? and or Where would you start for recipes if you reload?

I had a respected local gun nut tell me the steel core isn't consistently centered in the casting of the 855 bullets. Thus their inherent inaccuracy.

I know every barrel and rifle is different, but here are the results from the last time out with my bench rifle (AR-15) using the xm855. Had just installed a new 18" heavy contour MK12 SPR barrel with a 1:8 twist and this was my sight-in target...

dist. - 100yd
round - xm855, 62gr
temp - 56°
wind - 3mph left to right

^ There are five shots on that target...

Got a .6" spread out of it. The 62gr xm855 is all I shoot out of this new barrel. The results are always consistent and I've never had any performance issues related to this ammo.

The thing to consider when shooting a 24" varmint barrel, especially when fluted, is that the combination of the added length and thinner barrel walls can create a change in harmonics when using different bullet weights. The barrel I just removed from the rifle used above actually happened to be a 24" fluted varmint barrel with a 1:9" twist. It liked the 55gr xm193 and Hornady 55gr V-MAX™ a lot better than anything heavier. Consistency would suffer greatly when trying to use anything 62gr or above. It's not that the twist rate couldn't stabilize the weight, but rather that the heavier bullets caused a change in barrel harmonics that had an adverse effect on shot placement. I haven't seen this happen to this degree when changing from one ammo weight to the other in any of my 16.5" barrels. The longer 24" barrels just allow more time for the variables in play to go to work on a heavier, slightly slower bullet...

Thanks fellas.

Showin off certainly wasn't my intent. I was only tryin to illustrate that the xm855 can be consistently accurate out of the right barrel... :D

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
I know every barrel and rifle is different, but here are the results from the last time out with my bench rifle (AR-15) using the xm855. Had just installed a new 18" heavy contour MK12 SPR barrel with a 1:8 twist and this was my sight-in target...

dist. - 100yd
round - xm855, 62gr
temp - 56°

Got a .6" spread out of it. The 62gr xm855 is all I shoot out of this new barrel. The results are always consistent and I've never had any performance issues related to this ammo.

The thing to consider when shooting a 24" varmint barrel, especially when fluted, is that the combination of the added length and thinner barrel walls can create a change in harmonics when using different bullet weights. The barrel I just removed from the rifle used above actually happened to be a 24" fluted varmint barrel with a 1:9" twist. It liked the 55gr xm193 and Hornady 55gr V-MAX™ a lot better than anything heavier. Consistency would suffer greatly when trying to use anything 62gr or above. It's not that the twist rate couldn't stabilize the weight, but rather that the heavier bullets caused a change in barrel harmonics that had an adverse effect on shot placement. I haven't seen this happen to this degree when changing from one ammo weight to the other in any of my 16.5" barrels. The longer 24" barrels just allow more time for the variables in play to go to work on a heavier, slightly slower bullet...

Wow! Color me impressed !

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Thanks fellas.

Showin off certainly wasn't my intent. I was only tryin to illustrate that the xm855 can be consistently accurate out of the right barrel... :D

:lol: I know, I am just jealous right now... that's all :D

24Carat said:
I had a respected local gun nut tell me the steel core isn't consistently centered in the casting of the 855 bullets. Thus their inherent inaccuracy.

Doesn't square with my experience, but I don't have pics to prove it. ;) M855 will generally shoot poorly in 1/12" or slower barrels, though, which is why I didn't even think about buying one of the beautiful Kimbers.

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:

dist. - 100yd
round - xm855, 62gr
temp - 56°

Were these Federals or Lake City? Or?

M855 was not the best stuff I ever shot. Kind of ho-hum actually.
Shooting it out of a barrel with a Wylde chamber sure helped bring it up to snuff.

24Carat said:

Sorry, I've been away on vacation for a week.

The rounds used above were the Federal xm855 out of one of their 420rd cans...

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
24Carat said:

Sorry, I've been away on vacation for a week.

The rounds used above were the Federal xm855 out of one of their 420rd cans...

The conversation I said I had about m855 was of Lake City manufacture, for what it's worth. Needless to say I am more than impressed with your groups !

Thank you Sir,

I have to give all the credit to the rifle though. Oh, and Federal xm855 is manufactured in the Lake City ammunition plant in Independence, Missouri. Whether labeled/packaged as Federal or Lake City, it's all the same stuff...

Back