• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

What can you do with a .22 pistol?

GunnyGene

Racist old man
BANNED
Lot's of folks think "Not much". It's just a little bitty up-close and personal belly gun at best right? Maybe the occasional armadillo or other varmint. Well, how about hitting a 12" target at 177meters? Impossible? Nope. Watch this and learn. :)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTZVd72Md20&feature=c4-overview-vl&list=PLJUaiRIEduNUbe9aKl1PjrK3arSXjWuWH[/youtube]

I can't see the video, but I've been wanting a Buckmark or a 22/45 for some time... think it would be loads of fun and quite usefull paired with a Shotgun going after Grouse/Ptarmigan and Rabbit.

it's sad that the .22 is written off as a "low power" round. Yes, it's true they don't have the same force as a .38 or a 9mm, but they can definitely inflict some pretty nasty wounds. And what that gentleman demonstrated that even at almost 200 meters, if someone can hit a 12" steel plate, it's very possible that they could hit exposed soft tissue, or even thin bone, such as the temple, with enough force to be lethal. What I find so amazing is that those balls are hitting pretty hard, after being fired from such short barrels. The bobcat has what, maybe a 4" barrel? Is that even enough length to get a full powder burn? Still pretty impressive shooting tho. Besides, I'd rather practice with the inexpensive stuff all day long, then waste .60 to .80 cents a round of the high powered and larger caliber stuff. If my math is right, the ammo he's using might be hitting 600 to 800' per second (1200 to 1400 fps, if fired from a long gun). That's about the same kind of performance you'd get with a larger caliber, that's pushing a proportionately larger amount of mass.

As a general survival arm, a .22 pistol would be difficult to beat. Theyre small, light, and easy to shoot. A modest investment in a nice model with adjustable sights will get you a pistol capable of accuracy better than most shooters could achieve with it. Ammunition is relatively inexpensive, and is finally becoming more common. Many wont fire much, if any, ammunition over the sound barrier... so not only are they quiet, theyre also easy to suppress if legal. They arent an ideal defensive pistol..... but in my humble line of thought, the closest youll get to ideal for defense is a nine pellet wall of OO buck, or a semi-auto rifle with a 30 rnd mag.

My favorite squirrel pistol is an old (1958) Ruger MKI that was sent to Jim Clark Sr. in the mid 60s for a barrel and trigger work. Shes a shooter.

TravisM.1 said:
As a general survival arm, a .22 pistol would be difficult to beat. Theyre small, light, and easy to shoot. A modest investment in a nice model with adjustable sights will get you a pistol capable of accuracy better than most shooters could achieve with it. Ammunition is relatively inexpensive, and is finally becoming more common. Many wont fire much, if any, ammunition over the sound barrier... so not only are they quiet, theyre also easy to suppress if legal. They arent an ideal defensive pistol..... but in my humble line of thought, the closest youll get to ideal for defense is a nine pellet wall of OO buck, or a semi-auto rifle with a 30 rnd mag.

My favorite squirrel pistol is an old (1958) Ruger MKI that was sent to Jim Clark Sr. in the mid 60s for a barrel and trigger work. Shes a shooter.

Yep. .22 don't get the respect it deserves. Even compared to that new fangled G2 RIP bullet it does quite well. See this test: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/0 ... phase-one/

I am partial to .22mag tho. :mrgreen:

Back in the day when I could see, the Ruger Super Single 6 would bust clay birds on a hill side a 100 yards out, more often than not. And I cannot tell you how many tree rats have gone into the pot with that pistol.
But alas some neer do well decided that he. she. or them wanted/needed it more than I did, I sure miss that little guy.
No matter what some of these writers say or think the .22 aint no toy, maybe its not a .38 or 9mm but it will do the job it is intended for and more if need be

As a general survival arm, a .22 pistol has a big advantage as to the amount of ammo /bulk/ weight you can carry for it. ~~MM~~

I am in agreement 100% have a Ruger SR22 that I love and is more capable then most think...... however .22 is like finding gold & paying gold prices here in NJ ..... not as bad online but it sort of defeats the cost savings point of .22 ..... other than it being cheap for volume shooting Im not big on it, if im paying 9mm or .40 prices I much prefer tbe boom of those calibers....

Squirrel_001.jpg

WOW, I've lost a bit of weight since this pic was taken.

If I could only pick ONE gun for HD, survival, hunting etc it would be a .22 Ammo is light, it's accurate, and quiet. It' also is a lot more capable than most give it credit for, or attempt to discover.

Biggest down side is its non-re-loadable so when you are out you are out and current availability is still hit or miss.

While not optimal for HD, I doubt anyone would want to come at me while I was armed with one.

Many squirrels, and rabbits have fallen to my grandfather's old .22 short as well as my newer .22lr's.

I've heard some stats that say as many or more deer are killed (poached) each year with a .22 than any other calibur. I have no cite to back that up, but knowing what I know, it's probably somewhat accurate.

I keep a .22 pistol around as a backup firearm/survival gun. I have other pistols (.380), but you can't beat the price for target shooting, small game, and a versatile round. I plan on getting a 10/22 or some other .22 rifle. I love the fact that I can use the same ammo in both, and it's small and relatively lightweight.

I have the Walther P22 in my BOB for now. It's on loan from my dad, but I plan on buying a Ruger SR22 in the near future.

I keep a .22 pistol around as a backup firearm/survival gun. I have other pistols (.380), but you can't beat the price for target shooting, small game, and a versatile round. I plan on getting a 10/22 or some other .22 rifle. I love the fact that I can use the same ammo in both, and it's small and relatively lightweight.

I have the Walther P22 in my BOB for now. It's on loan from my dad, but I plan on buying a Ruger SR22 in the near future.

One thing that .22lr and .22wmr really benefit from is barrel length. Short barrels kill the velocity and terminal ballistics. Most .22 performs the best out of 22" to 24" barrels. Check out the numbers on http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/

I have a .22 Mossberg Varmint rifle (semi-auto), a Savage Mk-II .22 bolt action varmint rifle, a Savage Mk-II.22 bolt target rifle, and a .22 Ruger Mk-III semi-auto pistol. It's the basic Black Widow look-a-like with 4.5" barrel, and it's still so new it's almost too tight to take apart.

If I had to bug, I'd grab the MK-III, maybe the Savage target gun (best scope & most accurate) and my Mossberg .30-30 for knock-down in case I need to kill something big.

If I had a bigger caliber I'd probably take that too, but right now .30-30 is the largest.

If I was forced to pick a 22 handgun for survival.it would be the Ruger Single Six hands down. Revolvers are less problems and the Single six is a tuff one with the 22WMR option .extra cyl and a box of 22WMR for the big game now and again ~~MM~~

Been kicking around the thought of a 22 pistol, my choices thus far are between a Browning buck mark camper and ruger single ten. What say you ?

Been kicking around the thought of a 22 pistol, my choices thus far are between a Browning buck mark camper and ruger single ten. What say you ?
The Ruger single Ten is a new hi cap. version of the Single Six ,at the loss of the conversion cyl. for the 22WMR. for a tuff knock around survival gun the revolver would be the choice. Wheel guns are just more trouble free. If you just looking for fun plinker wouldn't make a diff. ~~MM~~

Back