• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

What did I screw up?

JayC

.270 WIN
Yesterday I was trying to put on an ATI pistol grip stock on my 500. It was a friend's, and I wanted to see how it felt on my 500. When putting it on I didn't didn't have all the right spacers in. The stock bolt went in too far. I noticed the elevator wasn't dropping all the way when I moved the forend all the way back. The bolt wasn't going all the way back in the chamber, either. I took the ATI stock off and just put the original back on. When I did a function test a few minutes ago the trigger fires with the safety on. I'm just wondering what I may have screwed up, and if it would be expensive to fix? :x

,,,take out the trigger assembly the longer bolt went into it.
once you get it out look for any damage and check for function.
keep us posted.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I bet you a nickel that you broke the plastic tab off of the back of the trigger due to the extra pressure exerted from the (too long) screw onto the assembly. I have seen that done more than once.

As for expensive, not really, about $17 for the trigger itself the last I remember, but the trick is, you have to take the trigger assembly apart to replace the trigger, which is a NIGHTMARE getting it all back together again.

Or call Mossberg and see if they'll fix it for you. You may have to pay for shipping, and parts and labor too though. Especially since you broke it due to improper assembly.

Or another alternative would be to purchase an entire trigger assembly from brownells for the 590, which is an upgrade of what you have now being all metal, but they're about a hundred bucks with shipping.

Like I said, maybe I'm wrong, but you need to look at the back of your trigger assembly to see what is bent or broken.

I bet you used the bolt that came with the original stock and not the ATI bolt. Using the original bolt caused the bolt to go in to far and break something. I read a post somewhere about this recently. I think it was either the safety or something in the trigger assembly. Take it apart put the bolt in again with the ATI stock on (slowly and carefully so you dont break anything else) and see what it touches and you will find what broke. Then I would probably call mossberg, tell them what happend and see if they will send you a replacement part.

One more reason to justify my hatred of pistol gripped stocks on shotguns. :eek:

Thanks for the replies. Last night I took the trigger assembly out of the gun. I could see what was broke. A small piece fell out that holds some sort of fork in place. I could also see thread marks on the safety itself. I took a couple pictures. If they're not good enough or something, I can take some more.

Thanks guys. I appreciate it! $80 is a bitter pill to swallow, but I guess I deserve it for not looking at the instructions closer. I might just break down and order the slide tube assembly, too, while I'm at it. I've been wanting to get that for a while now.

Yeah any time i make a midway order I always get a bunch of stuff I think I might need so I can avoid paying for shipping more than one time. I am sure that logic costs me more than it saves but they have a lot of good shit. =)

JayC when ordering the action slide tube make sure you take yours off and measure it so you order the correct one. ;)

Attachments

• 05001L_05[1].jpg
    05001L_05[1].jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 257
clarke187 said:
Yeah any time i make a midway order I always get a bunch of stuff I think I might need so I can avoid paying for shipping more than one time. I am sure that logic costs me more than it saves but they have a lot of good shit. =)

I agree there! I've spent a lot of time browsing what they have. :lol:

old mossy said:
JayC when ordering the action slide tube make sure you take yours off and measure it so you order the correct one. ;)

Thanks! I was going to just order the longer one, because I think I remember reading most forends work better with that one. I'm not sure which one to order to be honest. My forend is pinned. I'm not sure what forend I'll eventually end up with. I was just thinking I might order the slide tube assembly to have it when I need it.

I would try calling mossberg and giving them a sob story about it and who knows maybe they will send you a free one. It is worth a shot. I have heard of them sending out free parts to people who had broken them.

clarke187 said:
I would try calling mossberg and giving them a sob story about it and who knows maybe they will send you a free one. It is worth a shot. I have heard of them sending out free parts to people who had broken them.

That sure is tempting, but I just went ahead and ordered the part. Even though Mossberg has a heck of a lot more money than I do, I don't think it's fair for them to pay for my stupid mistake. I accept my dumb mistake and will pay for it.

I thought I wanted to get a tactical style stock for my 500, but I want to still be able to hunt with it. I'm not sure how a tactical style stock would work in a hunting situation with the 28" field barrel or 24" rifled barrel attached. I got some coupons in the mail from Dunhams Sports the other day and they have a Bushmaster Carbon 15 for a good price. It sure is tempting... :mrgreen:

As long as your state/local laws allow a folding or collapsible stock with a grip (what I assume what you mean by tactical) there is no reason you couldn't add one to your gun.

Mossberg has a few models that have them from the factory.

Tactical Turkey:
http://www.mossberg.com/product/shotgun ... stem/55265

Back