• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

What direction to go with a new 500

Edward

Copper BB
so I currently I have a 500 tactical 8 shot with an adjustable pistol grip stock with shell holder and ghost ring sights. I bought a fore-end pistol grip from Isreal from the same company that makes the fore-end. it's a nice fit and I really like the way it looks. The only other thing I want to add is a flashlight to mount to the rail system on the for a nice clean home defense gun.
anyways onto my post. A while back I was with family and shooting some guns and we decided to get a watermelon and a pumpkin or two and I got a chance to shoot my dad's mossberg. Not sure exactly the model but it was a semi auto and was chambered for 3" and 3.5". He goes hunting on occasion so he had a full choke on the barrel and when that watermelon was shot it exploded. I was then a bit disappointed when my gun just took a few chunks out of the watermelon. after some research I found that there's really not a barrel market for the 7 round magazines other than this one long barrel for a maverick 88 that I think was hard to find. I know I could get a new magazine tube and change it all out but lately I've just been thinking about buying another one and having my way with that one.

So I know there's lots of things to buy for these shotguns and I've only barely seen any of them but the things that I saw that I did like were this "pumpkin puncher" and also a barrel vent/shroud whatever they call it. I'd definitely like to get a choke barrel for it as well.
I really want to have a gun that looks good but functions well. Not really anything over the top.

Any suggestions/ideas on anything to improve the functionality/aesthetics of the gun.
I probably will not hunt with it but there's always a possibility

Sumthin' like this....

Here is the rest....

The choke will depend if the barrel has that option for it to accept chokes. You can tell if it does if there are threads on the inside of the barrel. If not then u can not use a choke on it.

Last edited:
I do like that quite a bit. I'm just not sure if I want the same stock. I have that one on my current 500 and I also have a .30-30 with it as well. I don't want it to be too overused but I do like it a lot

There are limitless possibilities for the look you want. Any thing is possible with all the aftermarket options out there. I'm sure someone here either has it or know where to get it.
I got The pumkin puncher off amazon and the heat shield off a guy here on the forum. But both are available at other sites out there. Like eBay and many several gun sites. A search of google for Mossberg 500 will yield soooo many hits.

that is a sweet gun
I saw both the pumpkin puncher and heat shield on amazon and I've seen a few sites that offer parts for the 500. I know there's plenty out there. Just looking for ideas mostly I suppose.
I've seen the flex but haven't heard too much about it. I like the stock in the first picture. still adjustable but different from the ones I have.
I'd love to see some more pics of sort of personalized 500's.

I'm not completely against going to a gunsmith and getting customized parts but I'm looking to keep it within a reasonable price range. The 500 I have now is looking about 550 with the flashlight and everything.

Thanks Edward.
Hope some of these ideas help.
You can also do a 500 or 590 search and see images of ppls guns with so many different looks.

The first pic is the Magpul CTR off my AR.
Any AR stock will fit that buffer tube, so lots of options in stocks are available. Not just 500 stocks.
Now the AR recoil pad might not be the best choice for a shotgun but there are pads available for that too.
Take your time and look around see what you like. We will be here if u got any more questions.

Welcome to the world of Mossberg shotguns. You can always use your new shotgun and break it in before spending a lot of money for accessories. Enjoy it!

Go retro, wood hardware and no bolt on's. ;-D

I've tried a lot of "tactical" accessories and few of them really work for me. They all look really cool but for me they never seemed to increase functionality at all and most made it more difficult for me to operate the gun. Granted I'm an old school bird hunter and clay shooter so I'm used to and proficient with a bare gun.

Do what you like and enjoy it!!

Mine happens to be the FLEX 590 so I have a Tooless Locking System which let's me interchange the stock with the twist of a "key" sort to speak and much simpler to interchange.

I personally like this Flex stock look better, also you don't have to remove the butt stock for cleaning with this on like you do those pistol grip ones. This stock also gives you the use if the safety better I would think.

Bolting on stuff just gets so complicated......... there is so much stuff out there it makes my head hurt.

In your first paragraph you mention being disappointed in how your shotgun had any immediate effect on watermelons and pumpkins. I understand that.

and when that watermelon was shot it exploded. I was then a bit disappointed when my gun just took a few chunks out of the watermelon.

Then you change topics to inquire about adding aesthetic parts that you might like. I get it. It's natural to be inquisitive about the cool stuff.

Any suggestions/ideas on anything to improve the functionality/aesthetics of the gun.

So what, for you, is the definition of functionality?

May I ask another question?

Which is more immediately important to you?

Well just would have to find someone that would want to sell there mounting Hardware.
Thanks for the info, I am just about to Google search it.

I don't recall for sure but I think somone here on the forum might of removed theirs but I'm not certain.
If so, it might b 4 sale.

Have pumpkins become such a problem that all this needs to be done ? Just want to stay on top of things.

Back