• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

What is the best way to sight in my patrol?

Boresighter had me so far off I swear I was missing the berm with my last 2 scoped rifles. I start off indoors now with a new scope or sight. If you don't hit it at 25 yards, move the target in 'til you do, then you can move it out and play with the knobs and do the math.Sucks blowing a buck a shot at 100 yards and missing everything. Got to say I didn't follow my own advice with a new red dot on my tactical persuader last outing, figuring the 437 grain slugs on a damp berm would be visible enough. Darn sight was about 6" left and perfect height at 100 yards,so I left it. Warped the barrel on my mini 14 though,and think I'll be chasing that around next outing. Put a strut brace on it, so hopefully it won't happen again.Love the mvp barrels.Set it and forget it.

Boresighter had me so far off I swear I was missing the berm with my last 2 scoped rifles. I start off indoors now with a new scope or sight. If you don't hit it at 25 yards, move the target in 'til you do, then you can move it out and play with the knobs and do the math.Sucks blowing a buck a shot at 100 yards and missing everything. Got to say I didn't follow my own advice with a new red dot on my tactical persuader last outing, figuring the 437 grain slugs on a damp berm would be visible enough. Darn sight was about 6" left and perfect height at 100 yards,so I left it. Warped the barrel on my mini 14 though,and think I'll be chasing that around next outing. Put a strut brace on it, so hopefully it won't happen again.Love the mvp barrels.Set it and forget it.

Make sure the bore slighter is aimed correctly. None of the ones I have bought were. I will mount them a drill making sure it is square point it at a wall and spin it. If it draws a circle it is not aimed properly. There are usually two screws on it that can be used to adjust the laser. Adjust until it draws a single dot while the drill is spinning.

A lot of .308's are zero'd for 300 yards, (or maybe thats just a military thing), as that means you will hit pretty much anything out to 350-400yds without adjustment ("minute of man").
75' = 25yds, so zeroing your rifle 0.5'' high at 25yds will put it thereabouts at 300yds.

Barrel length does have an effect on velocity....you lose approx 25fps per inch or barrel. Velocities from my 18.5 inch MVP LC are about 180fps less than the Sierra test barrel of 26 inch using the same loads.

The last bore sight I used was way off too. I started at 25 yards and was barely on paper after adjusting my irons to the dot.

yep, been there too... bought a .308 cartridge type laser boresighter and wondered why I just got a mass of reflections out of the barrel instead of a dot.

I put it in a V-block and rolled it.. it drew a 2 inch circle on the wall 18 inches away... no adjustment, so that went in the bin...

I read somewhere that a rough rule of thumb is to zero at 35 yds and it will be close to zero at 100 yds. and a tick high at 50 yds. I'm limited to a 50 yd range these days so am working with this for now. If bang on at 50 yds it is supposed to be close to centered on 200 yds.?

There are a number of variables that can affect that. What do you intend to use it for? There shouldn't be much difference between 35 and 50 yards I wouldn't think.

Let me show you what that scope will do at 100 yards when sighted in correctly my friend. This was yesterday. I sighted mine in initially at 30 yards. When you are zeroed at 25-30 yards the round will hit approximately 6-7 inches higher on the target at 100 yards (depending on round and shooting conditions).

DSCN6867.jpg
DSCN6889.gif
0418172120-1.jpg

Back