• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

What is the function of this part of the stock?

Ttutt

.270 WIN
on the end of the stock (m500) there is a raised semicircular band that fits into a matching recess in the receiver. this ring encircles the hole through which the bolt fits to secure the stock to the receiver. I know my synthetic stock has this, and I have seen pictures of wooden stocks for sale online that have had a similar arrangement. What exactly is the purpose of this? In the same area there is another pair of interfacing features that I would say serves the purpose of resisting slippage of the stock alignment or even rotation. could it be a seal of some sort to help keep any seepage from working its way into the receiver?

I am considering leaving this band off of my walnut stock that I am trying to make, but I don't want to do so if it serves an important function.

Ttutt said:
on the end of the stock (m500) there is a raised semicircular band that fits into a matching recess in the receiver. this ring encircles the hole through which the bolt fits to secure the stock to the receiver. I know my synthetic stock has this, and I have seen pictures of wooden stocks for sale online that have had a similar arrangement. What exactly is the purpose of this? In the same area there is another pair of interfacing features that I would say serves the purpose of resisting slippage of the stock alignment or even rotation. could it be a seal of some sort to help keep any seepage from working its way into the receiver?

I am considering leaving this band off of my walnut stock that I am trying to make, but I don't want to do so if it serves an important function.
^This, you hit the nail on the head.

It's not a seal. Though in one sense it behaves like one.

It aligns the stock and receiver, and maintains the correct relation ship between the two.

Since that ring has to be there you could probably get away with making it undersized on the stock you are building and then acra glass it to a skin tight fit. Thats the way I'd do it if I were making a stock from scratch. Now...If I had the ability (shop tools) to do the mill work. I'd just mill the ring in and be done with it. :D

I just realized that I could get a sling adapter, screw it into the stock nicely maybe at 3 points.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk

Back