• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

What kind of wood?

st1264

.270 WIN
Mossberg%20500%20Field0001_zpskniuzacz.jpg

New 500 Field. Just wondering what kind of wood it is and if it would take staining very well. Doesn't seem to be a lacquer type finish on it, maybe just been oiled from the factory?

Last edited:
I'm hoping it's not Birch, as that's a troublesome wood to take stain... if it is, I'll probably just leave it alone, just a little oiling.

Mossberg uses birch and walnut. That one is birch. You can sand it down to raw wood, then apply sanding sealer to keep the stain from turning out blotchy. I like min wax, it's available everywhere and priced decent.
Any other questions, lemme know.
Tag me so I'll see it....

Mossberg uses birch and walnut. That one is birch. You can sand it down to raw wood, then apply sanding sealer to keep the stain from turning out blotchy. I like min wax, it's available everywhere and priced decent.
Any other questions, lemme know.
Tag me so I'll see it....

I think I'll leave it as it is right now, as the wood is perfect and looks decent. Would rather have a 'black walnut' type color but I'll wait until I scratch up the wood then I'll refinish it. I've worked with birch before and it's been a pain in the butt. Wish I could find the Walnut wood furniture they put on their "Classic Field" model as it seems to have the short action bars which I need.
50126-catalog.jpg

Right on....but that walnut is perty too....I just got 2 claro walnut stock blanks from a guy in Cali for $25 a piece. Over 30 years old. I cant wait to see if I'm good enough to make a gun stock from em...

Back