• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

what parts do you lube/oil on your 930? And how much?

I use very little oil on my 930 SPX especially around the gas system. After I remove the barrel and all the parts on the magazine tube I lightly put oil on the magazine tube then lightly wipe off the excess. As I reassemble I wipe off the carbon from the parts with an oil stained rag. After the gun is reassembled I’ll use that same rag to wipe down the entire gun. After my first 500 rounds I removed the bolt and trigger assembly. The trigger assembly was clean, I wiped down the bolt and bolt carrier with that oil stained rag, then before assembling the bolt I put a very small amount of Melitec-1 metal conditioner in the bolt channels. Almost forgot, when I had the trigger assembly out of the gun I ran my bore snake down the magazine tube a couple of times. I run my 930 SPX almost dry, if I were hunting with a field 930 it might be different but because I use my SPX for home defense it’s never outside except when I take it to the range

i am of the other school of thought on oil on shotguns....i used to run my 1100's dry and found they run better with a liberal dose of mobil one on the mag tube....my 930 seems to run better with oil on the mag tube also...i just took mine apart after several hundred rounds and where some of the old school lubes would gum up, the mobil one stays nice and wet......D I C K

dickwholliday said:
i am of the other school of thought on oil on shotguns....i used to run my 1100's dry and found they run better with a liberal dose of mobil one on the mag tube....my 930 seems to run better with oil on the mag tube also...i just took mine apart after several hundred rounds and where some of the old school lubes would gum up, the mobil one stays nice and wet......D I C K

What number do you use? 5W20 or 30?

i just checked and mine is 5W30 but i doubt it matters which one.....other than a free sample oil bottle here or there Mobil one is all i use on everything nowadays.....D I C K

Next time I do maintainance on the firearms, I will try the Amsoil 0W30 extended drain :) ....thanks for the heads up guys!

I spray on and wipe off Break Free to the piston, the piston housing, the outside of the magazine tube and the grooves on the sides of the bolt. It cleans and leaves enough residue to lubricate without collecting too much gunk. I run a brush followed by a tissue down the barrel with a little Break Free too. I typically shoot 2 to 3 hundred rounds every time I take my gun to the range and clean it every time I get home. I do this 1 or 2 days every week year round. I tried Remoil but like the Break Free better. I have been doing this for about 3 years now since I bought the gun. I stated earlier that I have over 20,000 rounds through this gun but running the numbers it looks closer to over 30,000.

Good advice given. What I would add is after years of using Break Free I recently switched to a product called Slip 2000 EWL. The reviews of the two on their web site are ...very...compelling.
Plus, non toxic and no smell!
Cheers,

Back