• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

What to Look For New Out of Box

Hello-
I joined today and my name is J.D.
This forum seems to have a wealth of information regarding Mossbergs and I look forward to using it as a reference.
I recently purchased and am awaiting delivery of a Mossberg 590A1 (Model# 51660).
I wanted to ask if there is anything in particular that I should look for when it arrives in a few days?
Are there any problems that any of you have had with new Mossbergs that I should be aware of before I accept delivery?
Any defects from the factory that I should be wary of in either the metallurgy, manufacture or finish of 590A1's?

Thanks in advance to any help that you all are able to provide,
J.D.

Hi JD!!! I have the exact same model 590A1, no issues come to mind to be aware of...

Its a parkerized finish, except the receiver because its an aluminum alloy. The bead sight for some reason is black too. I replaced mine with a Meprolight tritium big dot bead. Its detailed in the "Iron Sights" section of "Optics". Really the only parts left from the factory are the receiver/internals/trigger group, magazine tube, and kinda the barrel, though thats had work done too.

That particular 590A1, because its a bead sight, smooth bore, pump action shotgun, is as simple as they come. You can cycle the action, but it will likely kinda "stick" fully reward as you go to return it to battery. That gets better with use.

Biggest thing, before you go shooting, fully break it down and thoroughly clean it to remove all the grease. Then lightly oil, like a film of oil. I actually wipe everything down with my hands after oiling.

Beyond that, go shoot it and have some fun!!!

Welcome to Mossberg Owners! :D

ps I'm gonna move this to the new member area so folks can say hi!

Welcome aboard and congrats on your incoming 590a1!

Brad pretty much covered it. We've got a great group of folks here on Mossberg Owners and the atmosphere is very laid back. The only thing we like better than discussing each other's guns is lookin at 'em, so when it arrives be sure to post up some pics of the 590a1 and any other firearms you own the various sub-forums. Let us know if you have any questions.

Enjoy the site!

Biggest thing, before you go shooting, fully break it down and thoroughly clean it to remove all the grease.

Worth repeating again ... there will be a lot of grease so clean it well. Congrats, good luck and welcome.

buy a lot of inexpensive ammo and take her to the range after her cleaning and break her in!

Oh and pics, gotta have pics! :D

Welcome aboard!

I have the 18.5" 590A1 with bead sight. I took a Dremel and some Flitz and polished out the bead. It is now a nice shiny little bead, and I really have no desire to replace it. You may want to try this out before you replace the bead. For my own particular purpose (around the house, where it will be used up close) it is excellent.

Welcome JD and congrats on your new 590.

As others have said, clean it good out of the box and you should be good to go.

Pics are always welcomed ;-D

Back