• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

what to use to clean my new 590a1

GMAN565

Copper BB
just got my new 590a1... :D yeah...ok now what brand or make of materials work best to clean it ? Is there a best way to clean it also ? there are many utubes on cleaning, does any one recommend one ? Should I use the brush, patch, jag, oil method or just the boresnake or a combo of both ? I love simplicity :?

Here's a great video from one of our own that'll cover just about everything...

Video: Detailed Review of 590A1

I use BreakFree CLP, Birchwood Casey Bore Scrubber, BC Gun Scrubber, and a little BC Barricade. If there's a BassPro near you they sell a convenient 3-pack...

Birchwood Casey® 1-2-3 Aerosol Gun Cleaning Products Value Pack

As far as the hardware I use a brass brush followed by some patches on a jag to clean the barrel. A toothbrush with some CLP works great on the outside...

If you have the common chemicals on hand to make a quart or gallon, then Ed's Red makes a damn fine gun cleaner for shotguns. The video linked above is superb.

I like the Froglube. It smells great. I heat my parts up and then apply it and it soaks right in.

Also....that video sniper linked is great.

Over the years I have tried them all and ended up sticking with Break-Free. Then I tried Frog-Lube and that was it. BECAUSE you can tell the difference in the sound of the action. It states that it adds a layer of protection and using a hair dryer to heat it and then do the apply by the directions I knew it had. I first tried in on my old 500 which I had for many years and racked MANY times. The sound changed, it got softer. I then put it on my 590a1, AR and all the rest. Also no more wet spots.

Back