• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Where do you keep your HD weapon?

Yep. Crocodiles and Alligators.
And Lions, and Tigers and Bears Oh my.
Truth be told, there are a lot of things you can do to make yourself less of a target. That's the trick is to make your neighbors more of a target (sorry, but reality is that a thief is like water. They usually take the path of least resistance.)
In all fairness, one can make a lot of simple circuits to grab attention if you wanted.
Just off the top of my head, one idea is those motion sensor lights can be much more than a light.
You can splice a wire into the wires that normally go to the light sockets, you can very easily run the wiring behind underpinning or vinyl siding (hidden) to your bedroom or wherever you wish and wire it to a single pole light switch (in case you don't want it going off) and then to a small 110v lamp and buzzer to get your attention. That "security system" is a lot less expensive and probably just as good as most entry level things.
Or instead of running the wires to an unknown light for you, you could possibly run the wire(s) to a metallic object like a window frame or doorknob or something and effectively energize it only when the nearby motion sensor is on.
Not saying that my house is like that.
But also not saying it isn't either.
There are a lot of things you can come up with.
Another really good deterrent is strategically placing plywood with a bunch of nails inside at every access point too. Because we all can't be home every second of our lives either. The reason for putting the theft deterrents inside is so no one gets hurt by accident. And good luck for a thief who broke into someones house and got injured in the process trying to bring civil charges against a homeowner in my town. Jurors would not stand for that.
If a thief or someone wanted in any of our homes, they could one way or another. But don't make it easy for them.
Besides, everyone in my town already knows you don't want to mess with the crazy old indian at the end of the street. He ain't right anyway.
Be creative.
Just stop short of and refrain from explosives :) That would be for a different topic altogether.

Finally @John A. ,

After all these years of anonymity that last post has finally enabled me to figure out who you are...

^That's actually a really good idea Orlando.

This is the only pic I have of our room when I installed my wife's uhm... "exercise pole".... but in the picture you can see how I used a regular $10 guitar mount for easy access to my HD shotgun...

4yty2u7a.jpg

Here all weapons have to be in locked cabinets so that being said much like john is saying my efforts go into other ways to protect my home including escape routes for my family cause nothing I own is worth as much as my kid

Yep. Crocodiles and Alligators.

Just thought y'all might enjoy this article about 'gators in MS. Most folks who live outside of gator country, think they are restricted to the swamps down along the Gulf. Not true. I live a couple hundred miles north of the coast in the N.E. corner of MS in what's known as the Hill Country, about 5 miles from the Tombigbee waterway. We have gators here, and if you go out on the rivers and creeks around here at night with a flashlight it's pretty easy to spot them.

Anyway here's the story. Enjoy :) . http://www.sbnation.com/longform/2014/1/15/5309064/alligator-hunting-mississippi-profile

So @John A,

Are you suggesting setting booby traps to keep intruders out? I saw the you could make the motion activated light to trigger an alarm and that seems OK. But putting plywood with nails I'm not sure that OK or not. If SHTF the that is probably fine.

You said avoid explosives which is fine. I saw an article years ago the a cabin owner booby trapped his cabin with a shotgun and the BG was hit in the shin.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1999-12-20/news/9912200163_1_miller-booby-trap-burglar

Last edited:
Am I suggesting to set booby traps?

Nope.

But if one were so inclined, a few nails would be mild in comparison.

Don't imply too much John. Ya' never know who might be listening. ;) Personally I think of booby traps as an item of feminine intimate wear. :D

Yeah, I keep forgetting it's just the internet LOL

I guess it's my fault that the OP's question was sidejacked. Sorry.

Back to the question at hand. Where is a good place to store your HD weapon.

Yeah, I keep forgetting it's just the internet LOL

Back to the question at hand. Where is a good place to store your HD weapon.

Actually, I think that has been answered in this sense: There should be several places, not just one. If you only have one gun you'll need to move it around, depending on who's home, or house vacant, kids, day or sleepy time, etc. Sort of like the song: "Love the one you're with". :)

I remember a guy telling me once he used those broom holding things with the 2 rubber rollers and attached it to the back of the door but sharks and stripper poles sound good to

In answer the question that was asked. Can you put some brackets above the closet door and put the shotgun in the brackets? I know this is sometimes not possible if you have a walk-in closet or one that is fairly deep so you can lookup and see the brackets.

Ok, maybe it's just me?

...but the yellow arrows did absolutely nothing to distract me from the STRIPPER POLE in the middle of the room... :eek:

LOL. D*mn. Seriously. After I read your response I had to go back and find these yellow arrows you mentioned. :) Take care. Tom Worthington

Here all weapons have to be in locked cabinets so that being said much like john is saying my efforts go into other ways to protect my home including escape routes for my family cause nothing I own is worth as much as my kid
Too true. But for the record...a trigger lock will suffice as long as ammo is stored away...jus' sayin'.......I use a combination trigger lock on my SG...no keys required.;)

Back