• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Which model?

ep1019

Copper BB
Hello everyone. I am looking to buy my first shotgun (I have two pistols and an AR 15) and want a 590A1. I've narrowed it down to three options.

Model 51771
https://www.tombstonetactical.com/c...90a1-xs-security-shotgun-12ga-20in-8rd-black/

Model 50774
https://www.tombstonetactical.com/catalog/mossberg/50774-590a1-security-12ga-185in-6rd-black/

Model 53693
https://www.tombstonetactical.com/c...otgun-12ga-18.5in-8rd-black-adjustable-stock/

I want it for range/home defense. My question is are these prices reasonable for the respective models and which one would you get if you could afford any one of them but also wouldn't mind saving some money and getting ammo instead?

Thanks!

I personally don't like a pistol grip stock. The ergonomics don't work well with the safety of Mossberg shotguns. Also, I think it's over priced but I'm cheap and that may be the going rate.

I like the second one the best based mostly on price. I think with some shopping around you may even find it for less. Maybe.

Online ordering can yield good prices, but factor shipping if it's applicable and transfer fees. Compare that to negotiating a price with a local gun shop and see what works best.

Of those 3 options I would buy the middle one, 50774, and spend the difference on ammo.

If you want the most economical option buy a 500 or maverick then pick up a 18.5" security barrel. That would be the cheapest and most versatile option. I have a HD gun equipped with extended tube but I will be honest that I hate it. It serves a purpose but it makes the gun front heavy and I really do not enjoy shooting it in that configuration. Admittedly I am accustomed to light field models so it may just be me. YMMV.

Last edited:
If it's worth the $40 to you sure. Like I said, I'm cheap.

I bought a 590A1 about 10 years ago and eventually sold it and went with a standard 590 (50778). If you haven't handled a fully-loaded 20" 590A1 I recommend trying one out before buying. They are very front-heavy and unless you're very tall, the long LOP stock Mossberg includes with most of their shotguns just makes it worse.

The extra weight of the heavy barrel is unnecessary unless you'll be slamming it in metal hatches/bulkheads so the only real advantage to the 590A1 over the 590 IMO is the steel safety button, and you can get one on Amazon for $15. The 50778 is on that site for $350, so if you went with that model you could put on a steel safety button, a shorter Hogue or Magpul stock, and still have about $60-90 left for ammo vs going with the 51771.

Also unless you are going to be doing primarily slug shooting I would go with a bead sight model, at the ranges shotguns excel in with buckshot a bead is much faster. I wouldn't go with a pistol-grip stock, like Rossignol said they do not work well with the tang safety. The Magpul and Hogue stocks are much better options especially if you add a Limbsaver.

You guys wouldn't pay $40 more for +2 capacity and a picatinny rail up top? i.e. get 51771 instead.
They are all the same base gun and any of them will serve you well, the rest is just personal preference. Despite what anyone else thinks you need to spend your money on the one that will satisfy your needs and wants.

I'm a long time wing/clay shooter. I'm most comfortable with a field model and bead sight because that is all I ever used for some 25 years before I ever even held a tactical style shotgun.

One of the best features of Mossberg shotguns is the almost endless options for personalization and customization.

By changing just the magazine tube you can easily swap barrels between the 500, 535, 590 and 835 models of the same guage to create a gun custom tailored to your needs.

OP,
Why are you sure you want a 590A1???
I have a 590A1 and can tell you it's a load. My 590A1 has a peep sight and 8+1 capacity with speed feed stock. If I was going to war in an armored vehicle and shooting slugs and buckshot I would carry this weapon. My point is that a 590A1 is a go to war gun. More shot gun than most people need. For home defense I have a 500. In fact I have 2. First floor and second floor.
If home defense is your #1 application then take a look at a 500 or 590 5+1 with a bead sight. You can also take it to the range and the sporting clays course as well. It's light weight and maneuverable and you'll even save a few bucks.
The main objective is to shoot it. If you are investing the money then you want to be able to use it. Find a shot gun that you can take to the range, blast clays, and put under you pillow!

I'd pick the one with the bayonet lug. :)

Well, that's what I did. Left-hand receiver, heat shield, bayonet lug.

Tom

Thank you all for the input. I finally ended up pulling the trigger on the 51771 model. It was $400 at gunbuyer.com which I though was too good to pass up.

Online ordering can yield good prices, but factor shipping if it's applicable and transfer fees. Compare that to negotiating a price with a local gun shop and see what works best.

What they said ^^^^... I'd like to add that a well-maintained 590A1 if bought right (and it sounds like you did) will retain its resale value should you wish to sell at a later date. And although you can research pricing online, I would consider buying from your LGS. You will probably pay a little more AND sales tax, but you will be supporting your local economy. That said, my local FFL isn't really in the sales game. He is mainly a semi-gunsmith and refinisher. I've asked about various guns over the years and he'll pull out the catalog, check his cost, do a calculation and say "this gun will cost you this much, out the door" and oftentimes the price is well over $100 more but like I said, he's more into the service end of it and a quick $30 for a transfer. In my case he is 1min from my shop, so the convenience outweighs dealing with another guy 15min away for $20. I'm still supporting my local economy in a way...

Thank you all for the input. I finally ended up pulling the trigger on the 51771 model. It was $400 at gunbuyer.com which I though was too good to pass up.
Ep1019 get out and shoot that beast! Slugs and jugs man!!!

The 51771 is the one I was going to suggest. I think the 18.5 inch barrel is balanced better and easier to wield indoors.

Congrats on your new shot gun.

Back