• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Why I love Clovis...

CaddmannQ

Will TIG for Food
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Well it's a great place to live, and Clovis California is also a famous cowboy/rodeo town.

I don't know if they have one of these in Dodge, but Deputy Marshal Festus Haggin has his own statue in the heart of town, right in front of the teacher's credit union. He's stood there with with a fiberglass Colt .45 on his hip for as long as I've been here, which is 40 years now.

This is the second (and considered more attractive) statue of cowboy singer and actor Ken Curtis who played Festus on gunsmoke for about 12 years. He played other characters on that show as well, and he called Clovis his home.

Some may say it's an ugly statue, and in fact the original statue of Festus was thought so ugly that a drunken local smashed it off at the knees and stole it, and it has never been seen since. It only stood for 12 hours, & this is the replacement .

But this one endures, and it's basically our town statue, and I like it.
I like what it represents too: basic justice, delivered first hand.

festus3.jpg

Festus squints right at you, with that gunfighter eyeball, as you walk into the bank,

festus1.jpg

Back