• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Why I prefer to build instead of buy

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
For a few simple reasons.

#1 Because I can pick and choose the exact components I want for the application so I get what I need.

#2 Because I pay attention to details and take extra pains/steps in ensuring that mine are superior.

And how does one go about that?

Well, I suppose it's when make it a point to do the little things that manufacturers skip.

Like finishing the area underneath of the gas block with blue before you install the gas block as one example.

Let's face it. How often do you pull your gas block or front sight to keep it rust free? Very rarely if ever I'm sure.

As a case in point, I worked on a range rental once that sent a lot of corrosive ammo down the pipe over the period of about a year that looked asbolutely terrible underneath of there.

Another oft overlooked thing to do when you install a set screw gas block is to drill a slight indention in the barrel where the set screw contacts the barrel to ensure that the gas block can't be bumped and inadvertantly misaligned causing failures.

These are just a few reasons or examples why many people choose to build their own.

Matter of fact, I have a couple of uppers i'm going to be building in the next couple of weeks. I'll keep you guys posted.

upperbuilds003_zpsb8b82fc0.jpg

Great info John,

Thanks for putting it out there.

I specced and assembled the lower on my first and the upper and lower for my second. It was easier than I thought and I like knowing exactly whats in it and how it came to be. I've never bought a fully assembled AR.

I've bought a lot of complete AR's. I would be afraid to even really guess a number to be honest. But then again, I was a gun dealer for almost a decade LOL

I'll put it this way, I bought so many there were certain companies I could call and we'd recognize the sound of each others' voices when we answered if that tells you anything.

I really made some good friends along the way.

But I far prefer to build my own for personal use.

A lot of people don't like to build the uppers because of the extra tools, and I think some of it is the intimidation factor, but I'd rather build uppers than lowers. Much easier and less time consuming.

I hate assembling A2 uppers though. The rear sight and all the detents and crap are aggravating. Flat tops are a piece of cake. A1's are simple and straightforward as well.

As for the info about bluing the bare metal under the FSB, that's just a little extra TLC that I like to do since it was in pieces straight out of the box anyway, so there's no real reason not to do something with it while it's right there in front of you.

I have 3 different uppers that I'll be working on/building the next week or so. One that I already have, and two builds so I have a few hours work ahead of me when all my parts get here.

I'm actually glad to see that parts are starting to come back online. :) I hope ammo is right behind it.

On other friendly pointers, I'm going to make my own spacer to help get the gas block/FSB's in place easier since you can't seat them all the way back against the barrel shoulder, so I am going to use a front handguard cap and cut it down the middle so I can use it to make a spacer/shim to help me get the gas ports to line up better and can remove it when I am finished.

upperbuilds005_zpsd479ac45.jpg

I used to do that a long time ago to save some time, but I can't find the one I used to use in the shop.

I have built every one of my AR's from the ground up...... :)....and I have built every round ever shot through it :) :) other than 30 steel case just to see if it would feed them good

I built my AR without any special tools other than the AR barrel nut wrench. With a few punches, a small mallet and pliars, I don't think building an AR is very complicated. I think the knowledge you gain from putting every part on the rifle yourself is invaluable for diagnosing and reparing any problems in the future. Always a +1 for doing things yourself!

I have only bought one complete AR, but ended up tearing it down and rebuilding it anyway. Even the complete uppers I've bought, I end up pullin 'em apart to change something or end up hacking off the sight post or some other personal touch. It's just a lot easier to start from scratch and put it together exactly how you want it...

5.56 SBR upper

arupperbuilds052_zps901455fe.jpg

arupperbuilds050_zps97438928.jpg

16" lightweight varmint huntin' upper

arupperbuilds049_zps693e6af2.jpg

arupperbuilds048_zps17b9d2e4.jpg

The bolt was built using parts from various manufacturers.

The carrier was one of the old slickside early vietnam era (late 60's) surplus versions, and the bolt and gas key were newer chrome lined DPMS parts.

Therefore, the lack of staking the gas key bolts to keep them from loosening.

gaskeystaking001_zpsc37652ac.jpg

I gave them a good whack with the hammer and centerpunch and didn't butcher them like some I have seen, but both the top of the gas key bolts, and the side of the carrier being deformed to touch the gas key bolt from the side, means these keys aren't going to walk out on their own.

gaskeystaking002_zpsf88cfc1d.jpg

yes they did. The uppers anyway. The lower is the same one for all of them. It's my sbr lower.

I mixed and matched parts from the two shorty uppers that I already had, and bought the barrel and a stripped upper for the lightweight 16 incher.

I'm thinking about asking a buddy of mine if he wants to try to do a little coyote hunting tomorrow evening.

Of course,if he does, that means I'll have to zero everything either this evening or in the morning.

very nice, looking forward to hear how it (they) shoots!....not doing the MI forend ?

Back