• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Why I prefer to build instead of buy

Gun stuff is my favorite too Rip.

Oli, the MIss forend is on the SBR upper.

The SBR upper shot really well.

I was trying to sight in the 16" lightweight upper, and the Barska scope crapped out on the 3rd shot so I put it back in the cab of the truck.

I will be contacting them later tonight, but it's like the front of the scope crumpled up around the front seam. Like I wrapped it around the side of a tree, but I didn't.

After the first shot, I noticed that I couldn't adjust the focus for the sight picture and the reticle (I could do one or the other, but not both at the same time) so I fired off 2 more rounds and when I laid it on the tailgate to look at the target, my jaw dropped when I saw it.

I've never seen that happen before.

So, I zero'd the irons and the Eotech on the SBR upper and will take it hunting tomorrow evening and go commando on the varmints :lol:

John A. said:
Oli, the MIss forend is on the SBR upper.

bummer about the scope

when we were talking I thought you were asking about the Gen II like mine.......did yours end up comming with the nut and wrench ?

It came with the nut.

And the regular ARmorers wrench worked it with no issues.

I liked both gen 1 and 2 versions.

The only reason I picked the 1st gen was I often use the magwell as a grip, and I thought the tensioning bolts on the bottom rear of the gen 2 forend would rub my finger and get on my nerves after a while.

John A. said:
It came with the nut.

And the regular ARmorers wrench worked it with no issues.

I liked both gen 1 and 2 versions.

The only reason I picked the 1st gen was I often use the magwell as a grip, and I thought the tensioning bolts on the bottom rear of the gen 2 forend would rub my finger and get on my nerves after a while.
Well if you get the chance to pick one up buy with confidence, it’s not an issue and neither is heat like a lot of folks worry about......if you had a gas block under the handguard it might get hot in that spot though .
I was shooting from the magwell for a while and no issue, I am trying to shoot from the front of the hanguard now , it feels a lot better as my rifle is a tad front heavy and the slim profile of the tube it a great diameter for gripping. I don’t like the feel of wrapping my thumb up around the rail but because the tube is slim the gap between the tube and the rail is a perfect spot for your thumb, kinda like a thumbs forward pistol grip…I was torn beteween the two, I really like the look of the 1st gen

Thanks for the heads up.

I do have a YHM low profile gas block under there. But since I use a front grip, it takes a lot for it to heat up enough to make it uncomfortable for me. I only went through about 30 rounds this evening and didn't even notice any heat coming off of it.

And I also like the smallish diameter tube. It does grip well. I like this handguard very much. A lot better than most of my other handguards. They're typically about 1 3/4" OD, plus the rails.

But this one is so comfortable, I have actually considered getting one of the gen 1 magpul AFG's for it.

John A. said:
I have actually considered getting one of the gen 1 magpul AFG's for it.
That would be cool......
I kind of want something but I can’t find anything I really like, I think someone should make another size smaller than the afg2 and make it out of skeletonized aluminum....a key mod so it would fit flush to the bottom of my gen2 handguard without having to add a 6 inch rail section. There isn’t anything out there like that that I know of, but I am new……

I don't know of anything like that either.

But it sounds ideal.

Back