• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Wide Body Jumbo Thumpers

nitesite

Average Guy
"Philanthropist"
:D

I got the new bullet mold for the .45 Colt revolver out of the box this morning and did some bullet casting in the garage before the single digit temps hit us here later in the day.

First I degreased it, then the aluminum mold got its cavities smoked with a candle, and I pre-heated it and applied Permatex Hi-Temp Anti-Seize on the pivots and pins and sprue plate.

Then I started making some big...... fat...... wide meplat...... 258-gr Semi-Wadcutters that I hope will shoot real well. I'll give them about two weeks for the hardness of the lead to settle and then I'll lube and size and load them.

Then it's GO TIME. :lol:

Here we are about 15-minutes in, making bullets at a leisurely four-per-minute.

And just for size comparison (not that size matters, of course, I'm merely saying).... these ought to have some thump potential.........

I'm nitesite, amateur and novice reloader and bullet caster. And I approved this message. :geek:

I'm oddly aroused by this. :eek: :shock: :D LOL

Those look awesome.

I know I keep saying it but I really need to get off my butt and get back into this.

Those look really good.

I am going to assume that's for the newest hand cannon?

Those look SCHWEET! Can you load .45Colt to some high preasures or is it sorta like a .45ACP in that respect?

I'm oddly aroused by this.

That is pretty funny!!!

I am going to assume that's for the newest hand cannon?

Yes, the Cimarron 5.5" SAA

Can you load .45Colt to some high preasures or is it sorta like a .45ACP in that respect?

Good question. The SAA guns (Colt's and their clones) are loaded to slightly heavier bullet weights, and similar speeds and internal pressures that very closely match a full power .45 Auto. There are separate reloading data pages for the Ruger Redhawk, Freedom Arms and Thompson Encore pistols in .45 Colt that take it up to .44 Magnum levels but that gets really really hard on the brass in those guns with MAX loads. Those loads would blow my gun up! My gun will handle a 258-gr up to around 875-900 fps TOPS and 750-850 is considered sane and normal, and also historically similar to the "old west" ammunition.

Thanks for the comments and questions, guys. I really find this whole casting/reloading thing to be a lot of fun!!!!

Thanks, oli~

That Lee mold started dropping good bullets so fast it was amazing, and I never needed to tap the hinge even once to release a single boolit. They all just fell right out. It was going so quickly and so easily that I started to get frosty bullets cuz the mold was getting overheated, so I had to slow down a bit.

No spotting scope needed on the paper targets - give the water jugs hell while you are at it!!

Prep the mold like a pro and good things happen!! Very cool.

nitesite said:
Can you load .45Colt to some high preasures or is it sorta like a .45ACP in that respect?

Good question. The SAA guns (Colt's and their clones) are loaded to slightly heavier bullet weights, and similar speeds and internal pressures that very closely match a full power .45 Auto. There are separate reloading data pages for the Ruger Redhawk, Freedom Arms and Thompson Encore pistols in .45 Colt that take it up to .44 Magnum levels but that gets really really hard on the brass in those guns with MAX loads. Those loads would blow my gun up! My gun will handle a 258-gr up to around 875-900 fps TOPS and 750-850 is considered sane and normal, and also historically similar to the "old west" ammunition.

Just as add to this, I tried some high pressure Buffalo Bore 45colt +P rounds through my Contender.
The cases expanded so much I had to use a dowel to pop them out of the chamber, and it took a great amount of effort. After 3 rounds they broke the crosshair on my scope. I quit shooting them at that point for fear they may be too much.

The rounds I used were these: 45 COLT +P DEER GRENADE

45 COLT +P DEER GRENADE 260 gr. MEDIUM CAST HP-GC (1,500 fps)

I'm sure most of you have heard of Berry's Manufacturing (Berry's Bullets). Gilbert Berry and I go way back, at least 25 years. Way back we tried to figure out a way to get a hard lead slug through the header machine (15 ton punch press) and not wear out the carbide dies to form the bullets every 100,000 bullets. What we found was cast the lead slug and while its still warm to hot (lead is still relatively soft), run it through the header machine and make the bullet, then immediately size and lube the bullet. Let them sit for 30 days and the bullet cures and becomes very hard.

You are very smart to let the bullets sit before reloading, makes a much better bullet!

I always enjoy your posts, they are very informative and your vast knowledge really shows.

BTW great looking bullets!

I'm really humbled and very appreciative that you find some of my posts informative...

Please stop in here more often!!!

nitesite said:
I'm really humbled and very appreciative that you find some of my posts informative...

Please stop in here more often!!!

terry2425 said:
I'm sure most of you have heard of Berry's Manufacturing (Berry's Bullets). Gilbert Berry and I go way back, at least 25 years. Way back we tried to figure out a way to get a hard lead slug through the header machine (15 ton punch press) and not wear out the carbide dies to form the bullets every 100,000 bullets. What we found was cast the lead slug and while its still warm to hot (lead is still relatively soft), run it through the header machine and make the bullet, then immediately size and lube the bullet. Let them sit for 30 days and the bullet cures and becomes very hard.

You are very smart to let the bullets sit before reloading, makes a much better bullet!

I always enjoy your posts, they are very informative and your vast knowledge really shows.

BTW great looking bullets!

A pair of wise men here... I would just like to say (and this in my my most youthful, adolescent voice I can) YOU GUYS ROCK ;)

Terry, I hope you stick around! I have a feeling you've got some good knowledge to share. A buddy of mine may be selling his Lee single stage since he's thinking about upgrading... I think it'll be my chance to hop into the reloading game!

I really enjoy this forum and don't plan on going anywhere soon.

If you get the chance, get the press and start reloading.

You will have a lot of fun and save some money too! It's been 42 years for me now.

terry2425 said:
Let them sit for 30 days and the bullet cures and becomes very hard.

Terry, do you have any data on how much harder, perhaps some Rockwell numbers? Any idea what makes it get harder? I never heard of a metal getting harder like that but most of my experience is with hardening tool and spring steel. Since you're fairly new I'll mention that I reload (1 year now) but haven't cast any yet although I can see it in my future.

terry2425 said:
Let them sit for 30 days and the bullet cures and becomes very hard.

Terry, do you have any data on how much harder, perhaps some Rockwell numbers? Any idea what makes it get harder? I never heard of a metal getting harder like that but most of my experience is with hardening tool and spring steel. Since you're fairly new I'll mention that I reload (1 year now) but haven't cast any yet although I can see it in my future.

Edit - did find this but I'm still not sure why they get harder:
picture.php

Back