• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Will POI/POA shift after switching barrels?

super68

Copper BB
First off this is a great forum, learned alot from reading the various posts here and was hoping you guys could answer a question... I have a 930 SPX and i'm thinking of picking up an extra barrel (930 tactical with breacher) and was wondering how or if the POI would change after I swap them out since the SPX barrel has the taller tower sight and the 930 tactical has the bead sight? I'm guessing they're pretty much the same barrel only with different sights on them, does the SPX barrel have a higher POI compared to the 930 tactical barrel?

I gotta be missing something here, just can't figure it out on my own... damn my small brain!

The shorter sight picture of the front bead will definately change your POA. Just draw an imaginary line through the sight picture and you will see that the bead will lower the POI of the shot. Considering you are probably talking about 10-15 yards does it matter? If you are hunting and shooting at 30+ yards then yes it will definately matter.

Paul

If you lower the front sight without also lowering the rear, you will be changing the angle of your sight plane and effectively raising the front of your barrel the difference in height between the two sights. Without compensating somewhere you will be hitting much higher at even close ranges.

Hold one thumb close to your eye and hold the other out in front of you. Now raise the one out in front 1" of an inch and notice the difference in where you would be hitting. Sorry but that's the easiest way I know to explain it. As was already stated, the further you are shooting the more you will notice.

LOL. I went back and forth and edited that post about three times before I decided that it would shoot lower. Of course, now that I think about it again, "of course Mike is right!" It will shoot higher. :mrgreen:

Paul

Back