• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Windows 10 unexpected "upgrade"?

CaddmannQ

Will TIG for Food
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
How many of you folks were surprised when your computer updated automatically to Windows 10 after you specifically had rejected the upgrade previously?

It seems that Microsoft changed the status of the Windows 10 operating system to a Windows "recommended update."

This means that people expecting to only get normal recommended updates for Windows 7 or 8 operating systems found themselves suddenly confronted with Windows 10.

That being said Windows 10 is an improvement over Windows 8, but sometimes an improvement is what you don't want. Sometimes an improvement like this will screw up your entire system which is why you should have the choice to install it or not

Of course you still do have that choice, it's just that Microsoft has made exercising that choice more difficult for the user.

Once they have everybody converted to Windows 10 then they can start making people pay for the upgrades.

This is how Microsoft combats the fact that once people get an operating system all tuned up to where they like it, and everything works ok, they don't want to change to another one.

But of course unless we keep changing, Microsoft can't make as much money.

Last edited:
Been rejecting the upgrade to Win 10 for a few months now....

In fact, it asked me the other day to pick an exact date off a list...which I did...then later pushed a banner saying your upgrade will happen on X date and asked if I wanted to change it...to which I responded by picking another later date. I will keep pushing it back as long as I am able...

WTF.....I think my computer might be trying to download this or something but I got next to dialup speed so its not taking to fast lol......so stupid right when I get used to a thing

I know less about computers than you know about landing the space shuttle

If Microsuck is trying to "update" your computer to Win 10 during "Windows Update", all you need to do is uncheck the update and it will no longer try. You could even "hide" it from the update option list, if you wanted. This is assuming you have turned off "automatic updates" and do the "custom" update vs "express" or whatever they call it. Part of owning a computer is learning how to turn all the crap OFF! :(

I think it will eventually be pushed ( illegally ) on the entire community, and then, "Oops! Computer error! Sorry! We had a glitch! So sorry!"
And then users are all on Win10, and there will be no way to back out unless you have a good backup, and you'll clearly want to Fdisk your machine to wipe changes to the boot sector.

Even that will get infected by the next push until people eventually get hit. Windows has become the virus that masquerades as an operating system.

20 years ago I tried to put our company on Linux (which has it's own set of issues) but then some software we needed to run was windows oriented. Later it became "windows only".
Maybe alternatives existed, but for some software, we couldn't afford them or the hardware required.

If you feel trapped:

From Infopackets.com

"Dear Dennis, How do I cancel my Windows 10 reservation? Also, how can I prevent Windows 10 from downloading onto my system?"
https://www.infopackets.com/news/9612/how-cancel-windows-10-reservation-properly

Dennis at infopackets is pretty good, and I've been reading his site for many years.

I run a Mac. I don't get those things any more!

I did CAD with a pencil in 1973-75. That sounds wrong, but instead of drawing, you wrote the codes for what you wanted the computer to draw.
I started doing PC type CAD using CadApple on the Apple 2E, around '85; and they brought us the first Mac into the classroom, as a display model only.

The (whole machine, but particularly) the screen was far smaller that the 2E display, but it had better color. That didn't matter. What we wanted was a MUCH bigger screen. That way you can see more and have to remember and consider less, because panning and zooming is slow. Now I run dual high-class 27" monitors, and my 2 video cards have more RAM than all the worlds computers together had, back when I started writing code in the 70s. :)

But I ramble...the point is that MAC was so small I didn't want one, and have never since.

If Microsuck is trying to "update" your computer to Win 10 during "Windows Update", all you need to do is uncheck the update and it will no longer try. You could even "hide" it from the update option list, if you wanted. This is assuming you have turned off "automatic updates" and do the "custom" update vs "express" or whatever they call it. Part of owning a computer is learning how to turn all the crap OFF! :(

We had this come back on when a necessary Windows update changed the update settings for Win10 on its own!
(Some mos previous to this current situation...)

I had to get everyone on the network to turn it off again.
Unfortunately, to install updates to our professional software, we often have to allow Windows to update something first.

The short story is:
"With your Windows 10 reservation canceled, and the KB3035583 uninstalled, Windows 10 should not download to your system."

I installed Mcafee security.

Any time that one of your software tries to access the internet, it warns you with a popup window and asks for permission.

The c:\Windows\System32\GWX\GWX.exe prompt that I was getting, specifically refers to Get Windows Ten.

I am specifically running windows 7 because I don't want windows 8, windows 8.1, or windows 10 or any other variants that I may have missed.

Now, mcafee doesn't even ask me about it because I clicked the ALWAYS BLOCK button on my security system.

Screw Microsoft and Bill Gates.

Well, you know the Pentagon just gave the go-ahead for Win10.

So, how many humans of various loyalties worked on the code?

Unknown.

Is it really bad? I just upgraded to 10 today. My pc guru says if I don't like it he change it back to 7....

I was a late adopter of W10 and skeptical. I wanted to see how bad the early users got hosed. It has worked ok for me. I wouldn't go back to 7.

You can go back, and yet you can't always have everything 100%, even when you have a really good backup strategy. Something is always going to be lost in the process because problems can arise with reactivating licensing for 3rd party aps and such.

Much depends on what system you have and what software you run.

If you have something like our Enterprise management system well that can be a real headache. The dang thing was written for Mac and ported to windows.

Generally speaking Windows 10 seems to be more comfortable and sympathetic than previous versions. I certainly like it better than Windows 8 or 8.1 but not necessarily better than Windows 7. It's a universe better than Vista.

At least as far as functionality & reliability is concerned.

Now, what Microsoft is trying to do to their customer base, well that's a different story.

This is how they put us all over a barrel: Windows 10 (they claim) will be the last windows.

It will call home by default constantly and relentlessly because the updates will be continual, and pushed out of the MS servers continually to ease the burden of update deployment.

As far as I can tell the first thing Windows 10 does when you boot up is call home and shake hands with the Microsoft update server.

Anyhow google up "downgrading windows" to see some of the problems people have with trying to roll back a Microsoft operating system.

After all that blather, I must report that my one Windows 10 machine is running very well, and it has been since I initially built it as a Windows 7 PC.

I upgraded that one directly from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro with nothing in between and it worked really well.

If you turn off automatic updates and install them manually you can keep W10 from being loaded. That's what Im currently doing to keep it at bay.

One day you may say yes to something that turns them on, without realizing it. That's how Microsoft is getting this into the public. you understand, and that's how they're forcing everybody to update windows. They're hiding the adoption, and people are getting infected with it like a virus. Maybe you can protect yourself but actually most people are going to succumb, particularly those who are happy about actually having Windows 10 because they don't know what it does and it turns out to be much better than the Vista that they were running.

But what it does? What it does is put you on the treadmill.

With w7 I had the option checked to never check for updates...only cuz mine was a pirated copy of 7 ultimate. I didn't want it to find out it wasn't a real boy....lol

Just had to replace my old laptop and the new one came with Win10. It's different and takes a little getting used to, but so were the last pack of new boxers I bought...

Is it really bad? I just upgraded to 10 today. My pc guru says if I don't like it he change it back to 7....

For some of us that use proprietary software for work, it's bad. Work software is not compatible with Windows 10 yet. So no "upgrade" for me. The Wife's laptop/tablet has Windows 10, and as long as it's in PC mode, it looks a lot like W7.

Back